Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT 304 cranks but Not firing

nes138

Reaction score
Members Ride
FC HOLDEN with 5LT V8 (VT)
Engine wont start - cranks but no fire, not even a pop

REPLACED - Ignition module, PCM (No VATS chips), BCM, MAF (glad I have spares but nothing worked).
CHECKED - ALL the fuses, spark from the leads and coil pack and show spark from both a timing light and a spark gap thingy!, checked fuel pumping with a drain hose after the regulator, override the fuel pump relay to permanently on, tipped fuel down the throat, battery has full power, put an external injector into the harness to check pulse and could feel it twitch, put fresh fuel in,

Was running and kinda slowed to a stall and that was the last of it.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Might be time to wire up a temporary engine check light if possible and test for fault codes.

Alternately get a ALDL cable and hook up a laptop with tunerpro to see what the PCM is doing.

nes138

Reaction score
Members Ride
Here lies the problem, I have lost all coms to the tech2. So as per the thread start I replaced the BCM PCM etc etc

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Maybe you have fried something in the wiring?

Do you have a multimeter so you can test and make sure the BCM/PCM are getting power etc. Or maybe a problematic memcal?

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Have you checked the ignition timing?

If you have fuel and spark you should have broom broom.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Never used tech2

But just put into diagnostics mode read flashing faults off test light see if anything comes up that way.

nes138

Reaction score
Members Ride
Never used tech2

But just put into diagnostics mode read flashing faults off test light see if anything comes up that way.

Very easy, I have not hooked up the engine check light yet, I pulled all the wires out of the cluster to attach to my "analogue" instruments, hence the tech2

nes138

Reaction score
Members Ride
Engine wont start - cranks but no fire, not even a pop

REPLACED - Ignition module, PCM (No VATS chips), BCM, MAF (glad I have spares but nothing worked).
CHECKED - ALL the fuses, spark from the leads and coil pack and show spark from both a timing light and a spark gap thingy!, checked fuel pumping with a drain hose after the regulator, override the fuel pump relay to permanently on, tipped fuel down the throat, battery has full power, put an external injector into the harness to check pulse and could feel it twitch, put fresh fuel in,

Was running and kinda slowed to a stall and that was the last of it.

Still nothing although the Tech2 is showing a connection and can read data - NO FAULTS

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
If it slowed to a stall then I'd be looking at fuel. Check the fuel pressure in line, not just the pressure from the line. Hook up your fuel pressure gauge between the rail and the regulator.

Have you pulled the spark plugs to see what they look like?