Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT 304 heat??

nes138

Reaction score
Members Ride
FC HOLDEN with 5LT V8 (VT)
VT 304 watching temp go up.... I have done heaps of research looking and have various answers. Engine is in a custom car with stock computer and 2x Davies Craig 10" thermos. My fans kick in at 95degC and at 113 degC and climbing I shut it of incase its getting too high.

New coolant and stock radiator - what temps should I be looking at?

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Has it always done that?

It's obviously an aftermarket gauge, does the sender match the gauge?

How is the thermostat?

Are the thermo fans completely sealed around the edges? Do they blow through or suck through the radiator?

nes138

Reaction score
Members Ride
FC HOLDEN with 5LT V8 (VT)
Hi Not_An_Abba_Fan, Can't really tell if its always 'done that' its only recently been installed.

The 'aftermarket gauge' is actually the data received directly from the aldl (OBD) port through my tech 2 as a digital read out.

The thermo fans have a flat plate of two circles where the fans are mounted and so are technically not sealed. They are set up to pull through (yes they are correct fan direction hahaha) the radiator.

Mind you the car is on stands and not moving, so there is no other air flow - but then again I am in far Eastern Victoria and ambient temp outside struggles to get to 25.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
The engine will ALWAYS get hot when stationary, there is not enough airflow though the radiator to cool it effectively even with thermos running. To make the thermos more efficient though, you will need to seal the edges so that the fans are pulling all the air through the radiator and not through the gaps at their edges. I use the VT thermos on my Range Rover V8 and have high density foam packed between the shroud and the radiator so that no air can be pulled in between the shroud and the radiator.

Until you can get it moving and see what the temperature is doing, I wouldn't be too concerned with that temperature when stationary.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
IT still shouldn't overheat when stationary.

The two fans probably aren't up the the job but sealing the shroud will certainly help.

Does the engine have the bypass hose fitted (runs from the intake manifold back to the top of the waterpump).

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
113 deg C is not "overheating" though. It's warm, but acceptable and won't hurt anything.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
But he said temps where still climbing even though both thermofans were going. I'd say something not right there.

My Senator can sit and idle all day without getting anywhere 100°C, at 113°C I'd be starting to get worried at idle.

Depending on what the engine is fitted in packaging and airflow in the bay may be an issue too.

Has the base timing be set/checked?

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
2 x 10" Davies fans will struggle...go back to factory vt thermofan set up which flow heaps more & properly shrouded.

Bypass hose helps bleed air out & system from pressurising too much when cold with closed thermostat.

Pretty sure on temps of 96 is 1 fan or slow speed & 113 is dual fan or both fast speed set in ecu.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
I thought the VT V8 thermofan temps are low on 95 off 90.5 high speed on 104 off 99.5

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Could be haven't checked one in long time.

Just realised it's fc holden not a vt.

Fans worth trying vs v6 which much narrower...bf single would be ideal if they fit,crazy cfm.

2 x10's or even single 16" davies won't cut it in tight engine bay with lots of heat very little airflow so you'll need tried & proven whichever one of these that fit vs v6,mondeo,au twins.el twins or most likely bf single.

Google for size/fitment.