Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT 5.0L - Petrol fumes??

DANNY8

Yo Coooornflake!
Reaction score
Website
www.kerrbrosracing.com
Members Ride
VK WAGZ 5.0L, GQ Patrol TD42
Yesterday we could smell petrol fumes coming somewhere from the VT (5.0L). Ya can smell it outside the car a bit. Inside we couldn't smell it but as soon as the driver door was opened ya could smell it.

I know I'm prolly just gonna have to look for it, but just wondering if anyone has had any issues with theirs with fuel leaks or sumfin. It was a pretty hot day yesty, and was only like the 2nd time we'd used the aircon, dunno if that would hav sumfin to do with it tho.

50LTRv8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT V8 Calais
Hey Danny

I had this issue of fuel smell coming into the cabin on my VT 5 Litre, it turned out to be one of the fuel hoses that attach to the fuel rail had perished, this would be the first place i would look. The mechanic told me that he could only see the leak when there was a bit of fuel pressure.

Hope that helps

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 SS Commodore Series II
Have a squiz on the fire wall where the fuel lines run up.

$10 the hose has either perished or is weeping.

DANNY8

Yo Coooornflake!
Reaction score
Website
www.kerrbrosracing.com
Members Ride
Hey guess wat ya's were right. Only problem now is no one seems to make replacements, and they are an obsolete part.

Any ideas?

graham7773

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim Wagon
Would the series 2 VX and the VYs would use the same hose? They should not be obsolete, similar fuel setup.

DANNY8

Yo Coooornflake!
Reaction score
Website
www.kerrbrosracing.com
Members Ride
Would the series 2 VX and the VYs would use the same hose? They should not be obsolete, similar fuel setup.

Hmm, could work if they're similar I guess. Will have a look and let ya's know.

Thorby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Black Edition Wagon
Sumfin tells me the VY 5 litre hose would be a direct fit. Ya local DEALER shuld have won. If they dont have won in stok tell em they r dreamin.

])R@G()N

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
Hey Danny

I had this issue of fuel smell coming into the cabin on my VT 5 Litre, it turned out to be one of the fuel hoses that attach to the fuel rail had perished, this would be the first place i would look. The mechanic told me that he could only see the leak when there was a bit of fuel pressure.

Hope that helps

I had the same problem in my V6 and it was there for 10 years before I found it, it was driving me crazy I couldn't not find it anywhere.

DANNY8

Yo Coooornflake!
Reaction score
Website
www.kerrbrosracing.com
Members Ride
Sumfin tells me the VY 5 litre hose would be a direct fit. Ya local DEALER shuld have won. If they dont have won in stok tell em they r dreamin.

There's no such thing as a VY 5.0L. I have a series 1 VT, last of the 5.0L's....then they went to LS1's so not sure if the hose would be the same.

My little bro is the parts guy at our local Holden dealership, so I know he's not gonna tell me they don't make them coz they're too lazy to go looking lol. We were just gonna chop the end of the hose where it's leaking (would only have to chop about 10mm off), then stretch it over and reclamp it....but wanna try and find a replacement first.

50LTRv8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT V8 Calais
There's no such thing as a VY 5.0L. I have a series 1 VT, last of the 5.0L's....then they went to LS1's so not sure if the hose would be the same.

My little bro is the parts guy at our local Holden dealership, so I know he's not gonna tell me they don't make them coz they're too lazy to go looking lol. We were just gonna chop the end of the hose where it's leaking (would only have to chop about 10mm off), then stretch it over and reclamp it....but wanna try and find a replacement first.

Couldn't you use a standard bit of fuel hose? I am pretty sure thats all my mechanic replaced it with?