Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT 5.0L Questions????

VTSS304

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 5.0L Manual
Hey guys, first post, new to the forums, hope you dont hold that against me haha.

So I recently bought a VT SS 5.0L Manual off of a family member (because it was cheap) and have since discovered the engine has a nasty knock at idle when its warm. So rather than fix it I wanna swap in a HSV 195KW Roller cam engine i've had in the shed for a few years. The engine is brand new, never been in a car or run.

Can I just run this with the SS PCM? or do I need a HSV one? Can the standard PCM be modded to suit? (I have a spare one)
Do I need to change the valve springs as its been sitting for nearly 15 years with a couple springs compressed obviously?
Considering its out, now would be a good time to do a cam, do you have any recommendations that will work with the stock PCM? I heard the Crow 4502 is good but is that a roller cam?

The car will be used mostly on the road with a couple track days a year, its stock except extractors, 2.5" exhaust and a 3.45 diff.

Thanks for any help you can offer guys

Biglachs

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx executive and vs s3 ute
should be able to run it just fine, the 5l you pull out will be worth a fair bit aswell because it should be a roller setup. they go for 1k almost for a wrecked engine in perth as they are so rare to find.... Not to sure about the valve spring situation though.

drewVHSS

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
stores.ebay.com.au
Members Ride
'83 VH SS, '79 Green VB SL '92 S2 VQ Caprice
You can run the same ecu as before with the new engine, I'm not sure what differences between a vt roller engine and a hsv (maybe cam change but not really a big enough difference to bother it)
you just wont be utilising the full potential of the hsv engine untill you put the correct memcal in and knock sensors
but if you're changing cams anyway, i'd just get your ecu tuned to suit the new cam on a dyno anyway.