Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT 5 litre engine block engineering

pete355

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy calais supercharged
Hey alljust wondering i have a vt 5 litre engine but with VU block prefex with single port manifold an twin throttle body just wondering where or who would be the best to see about getting this engineered any help or advice would be great

304runner

( .Y. )
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 5.0 Ute & a 4runner with a VS SS trasplant
That prefix came out in the VT..

It is just a VS series 3 block, with a stroker crank ect.

They all had a VU prefix. It does not need engineering.

pete355

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy calais supercharged
well my vt use to be a v6 and i changed it all to run 5 litre so when i took it to my mechanic he said the computer wont let him change the engine and the prefex are wrong and that i have to get it engineerd so i dont get it how can i get around this

showbags

SENIOR EL'BAGO
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais, BMW 135 m sport
Find a different mechanic.

304runner

( .Y. )
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 5.0 Ute & a 4runner with a VS SS trasplant
well my vt use to be a v6 and i changed it all to run 5 litre so when i took it to my mechanic he said the computer wont let him change the engine and the prefex are wrong and that i have to get it engineerd so i dont get it how can i get around this

Well your Mechanic is an idiot.

As long as that car/model came out with the engine you now have (which it did) and you are running all the standard emission gear then there is nothing to fail you on.

It will need a Blue Slip Adjustment which will require the car to "go over the pits" so to speak.

I have done this before twice now and I'm also in NSW.

MACE

Reaction score
Assuming that the engine is standard, hasn't been modified and has all of the suitable axillary components from the 8 cylinder variant, then it should be fine without and engineers certificate. In saying this though, it might be a good idea to contact your local RTA to confirm as their has been some legislation changes of recent in NSW from my understanding (which is limited)

Hope this helps

Cheers,
Steve

mickp1783

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore ute
VT 5L blocks had a VE prefix VN-VS 5L had a VU prefix, if you have gone with a VU prefix in a VT commodore technically you have gone backwards which is a no no in nsw. You can always go forwards but not the other way.RTA will always jump on this.

pete355

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy calais supercharged
Yea i know its a pain in the ass i have to get a blue slip done and rego makes life hard having to tow the car everywhere