Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vt 5l not going as expected

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I'd imagine that Al Gibb knows how it's done.

Ash 5l vt commy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt calais
He seems very good with all that stuff i think it works fine its just picking up wierd readings?

Ash 5l vt commy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt calais
Im sorta lost at the moment ill do the thing mentioned and go from there i think thanks for all the help

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
I reckon headers and cats are backing up and diluting the incoming charge. Explains low RPM max and high timing input.
Try holding 2nd gear at WOT, getting up to over 4500, then lift and re stab the throttle to see if it clears and picks up better.

Ash 5l vt commy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt calais
Ill give that a go when i get home tonight, any other ideas? Funny thing with it is it revs real sharp on the spot but as soon as its under load its got this flat spot where it has a loud induction noise going through the tb? Which with a carby i would associate with being lean

Last edited:

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Looking through the thread and I may have missed it but are you running a CAI? A Mace CAI would be the go if not.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Where is the MAP sensor connected on the manifold? It really should be in the plenum area.

What did the tuner say about it?

Ash 5l vt commy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt calais
Theres no cai its just a filter on the 4 barel tb, the tuner tryed it in one of the runners and then one of the holes in the bottom of the throttle body

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Theres no cai its just a filter on the 4 barel tb, the tuner tryed it in one of the runners and then one of the holes in the bottom of the throttle body
Many of those aftermarket throttlebodies have vac ports for dizzy advance and map sensors. Can't seeing that being an issue unless it was fitted to ported vac tbh. Either way at wot it should read atmospheric pressure anyway especially since those 4 barrel throttlebodies flow so well. Are you sure it's getting 100% throttle using the accelerator pedal?