Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vt 5ltr race car build

HQH

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS
Hey all, I'm stripping out my vt to race car spec. I bought a vt 5ltr chip from commodoregear off ebay that has vats removed. I have stripped out all the unnecessary wiring and installed the chip.
I have relocated the battery to the boot and wired up the starter and alternator correctly back to the original engine bay fuse box.

I have installed an igntion switch and push button stater The ignition switch is connected to the pink/black wire which powers the engine control relay and the fuel pump. It also powers the push button starter. The push button starter is connected to the red/white wire to the start relay When I turn on the ignition the fuel pump primes for a second then turns off, I push the start button and nothing happens although the wire is pushing 12.5volts to start relay.
20190120_085909-800x389.jpg
20190120_085853-800x389.jpg
20190120_085720-800x389.jpg
20190120_085641-800x389.jpg
20190120_085553-800x389.jpg

So I tried removing the start relay and bridged the main wires and the engine started but won't keep running I tested spark and there is plenty the and continues to spark as the engine is turned over so that is working fine. I then put a test light across and injector plug and nothing

So my questions are
1. Could the chip be faulty or not have vats removed as the engine doesn't continue to run?
2. It seems like the pcm isn't grounding the start relay (grey wire to pcm feom relay)
3. Am I missing a wire somewhere to ground the start relay????

Pics are of the pcm harness plugs showing wires that were discarded and of ignition wire (pink/black) and start wire (red/white)

Please help

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
eBay chips are garbage. If there's any kind of change to the actual tune I wouldn't be racing with it. Go to the PCMhacking forums or contact The1 or delcowizzid here.

Is your ECU grounded? The fact that it starts and dies off kinda almost makes it sound like a bad earth. And I'm guessing it was fine before all this?

HQH

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS
The car had no previous issues. I would assume ecu is grounded as fuel pump and ignition are operating as normal. Unless one of the wires in the pics of the pcm harness plugs needs to be connected/grounded? All earths are as was originally

Last edited:

HQH

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS
Replacement memcal arrived today. Fired up first go with push button starter and ran like a treat!

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Replacement memcal arrived today. Fired up first go with push button starter and ran like a treat!

So it was a VATS issue? Where did you get the new one from?

HQH

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS
Yeah definitely a vats issue. I messaged the guy I bought it from on ebay and he immediately sent me a new one. New one worked straight away