Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT 6cyl

Mike Reade

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT commodore
My VT 6cyl starts when cold (eventually) and will run sweet for a couple of minites then cut out. It will start eventually but when i put my foot down it dies or hits flat spot. Once warn I still have a flat spot right at the begining of acceleration. Any ideas?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Start by replacing the fuel filter.

Voodoo_SV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 E3 R8 Manual+MY16 VFII SV6+MY11 VE S2 SV6
Theres only a few things an engine needs to run. Fuel, air and spark.

Have you got fresh fuel in the tank? Or has it been sitting around undriven for months/years? Dump the old fuel and replace with 98 octane fresh stuff to get it started, also replace the fuel filter.

Spark, similar deal, If it's spark plugs and leads are old as and you don't know their history, at least get new plugs (set the gap if needed) and preferably new leads.

Air, is the air filter clean? If not replace it. Unbolt the inlet to the throttle body and use some throttle body cleaner on it.

Once you've done all this, you've checked all the simple things and eventually it should run better. If these items don't help, then you maybe have a fuel pressure / pump issue, so that it cranks and starts, but nothing more.

Might be cheaper to hand it to a mechanic and get them to diagnose the issue for starters.

Mike Reade

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT commodore
Thanks mate, Replaced fuel, fuel filter, plugs coils and new leads. Also air, oil and cabin filters. I'll give the throttle body a clean. Cheers