Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT '99 - Brake/Handbrake Problem

ironwool

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore Acclaim
'99 VT Commodore Acclaim - Driving the other day , it started making a sound like a flat tyre, i checked the tyres and no flat. When i started the car again the brake warning light was on (handbrake was off), after pulling handbrake on and off and working the brake pedal for about 30 seconds the warning light went away. Started driving again and the sound was still there, and about 3-4 kms later the brake pedal became spongy to the point where it had to be pushed floor to get any stopping power. Pulled over again and checked brake fluid (was fine), and decided to let the car cool down for 30mins. While i was sitting there the brake pedal became stiff and wasn't able to be moved at all. After the 30mins i turned the car on and evreything was fine. Have taken all four wheels off and checked pads and rotors and it all looks fine.
Could this just be a once off thing, or is it a handbrake sticking, or maybe a booster problem?
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Edit - The noise appeared to be coming from the left hand side.

Last edited:

MkyHnly

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC SL/E 253 Project - BMW 328i Coupe Daily
when the car is turned off and you keep depressing the brake pedal it does go stiff and is unable to be depressed anymore, and it should become good again once the car has been started.

having said that, i have no idea what is wrong, just thought i should let you know that :p

cheers

paul-r

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive Wagon
I suspect it is some problem with the master or slave cylinders, I don't think it is the booster or the handbrake.

ironwool

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore Acclaim
Reply to MkyHnly - i understand that; when the brake pedal stiffened up i had not been pumping the pedal because i was letting the brakes cool down.

juice1929

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Wagon
check the nuts around the booster, caliper any joins could of come loose and was letting air into the lines? it happened to a mate when he didnt bleed his brakes properly one week it was fine next not

Steve'o

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim
My 'VT Acclaim 99' is doing the exact same thing! got a 'brake warning light' & both rear pads/callipers/disc? are getting verry hot, can smell the burnt pad.
checked all brake pads today. and the rear needed replacement badly, the front were still in great condition.
After replacing the rear pads i went to run them in and i could still hear that kinda swishing sound with the window down. i tested the brakes and they seem to work well with plenty of pressure and no 'brake warning light' came on this time, still seem to be swishing and running hot though.

...did you find out what was up with yours? ..my guess is it must of been the booster or cylinder.
will book it in for a checkout on monday, why do these things always happen to me on a friday afternoon :( doh!

graham7773

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim Wagon
Calipers seizing, not releasing completely? That would cause all the symptoms you describe such as rear brakes overheating and abnormal wear. Could be something else but I would look there first. overhaul or replace caliper/s.