Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT 99 door rubbers

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
You can't get them new any more I'm afraid. VT-VZ have the same door/glass set-up. VE went back to glass in bailey channel all the way up.

That's not to say it's even the issue. The whole design of the glass as I mentioned before also plays a large part in the rigidity of the door. The noises could be coming from somewhere else but exacerbated when the window gets slammed up into place. Another spot is the track slides that the metal slides into front and rear.

What's the felt like on the door rubber?

Process of elimination: I disagree with silicone spray fix as it's only a workaround (that's a personal thing so feel free to ignore), but it could be used to gauge the troublesome area. Try spraying the felt all the way down into the door, where that rubber becomes proper bailey channel (which you can't see with the door trim on). See if it helps. If not, spray the back and front (outside edge) of the door, with the window wound down (you'll see the slit in the rubber), so that the metal tracking gets a dose. See how that goes. Failing that spray the whole outer edge of the door as it fits into the body, see what happens.

If any of these work you can then decide to make silicone a part of your routine, or look at fixing it.

bones308

Reaction score
Members Ride
vts 1999 V6
the only problem I have with silicone spray will be dust (where I park in the daytime is very dusty) sticking to the spray which will make things worse
i think I'll chase down replacement parts Bailey channel, felt strips,ect.

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
As I said maybe just use it as a diagnosis tool. It's easy enough to clean off. Why replace them all if you only have to replace one? And potentially risk replacing something fine with something crap?

mummbles

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF 2 SSV Redline Sportwagon
try adjusting as per the instructions first. its dead easy, takes about 5 minutes of your time and has had zero negative affect re: sealing against water incursion.
The issue will almost certainly be the flocking wearing out as mentioned by Pullushon, but I don't think new replacements are available any longer. you might get lucky though.
I adjusted mine and that fixed the worst of it.
I simply give the flocking a bit of a squirt with silicone spray when it starts to annoy me again, probably every 3 months or so.
Ive noticed no real dust issue unless it rains immediately after i've sprayed in which case I need to give the window a good clean.