Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT 99 door rubbers

bones308

Reaction score
Members Ride
vts 1999 V6
hi
thinking of changing front door rubbers to new items (195,000kms) as doors creek whilst driving and
its driving me nuts! I've have the car since new,NO major dings in its history,but the last few thousand KM's the front doors are creeking,
where should I look for new rubbers
P/S I don't have a Ebay account.
Melbourne area.

thanks

franklinfrog

Reaction score
Website
www.cheapbrisbanebikes.com
Members Ride
VY SS Wagon 5.7 Auto Wikid Postie Bike
You could try first moving the striker plate slightly further towards the seat. The idea being that the door is then pulled further closed and will not creak or move. Also, most striker plates have a plastic coating that wears off, so might need to replace the whole striker plate with a wreckers one.

Also, chuck some grease on you hinges. Otherwise try wreckers for rubbers, there's bound to be a good set, they'll be a pain to swap over though!!

Also, good on you for keeping your VT for so long!!

mummbles

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF 2 SSV Redline Sportwagon
I still have my VT that I purchased new in '99.
I think you might find that it is the windows that are creaking and not the door rubbers. To check drive where you know they creak and crack the window a tad.
If it is the windows you can first try adjusting them down a touch. There is a hex nut in the outer channel to do this. Loosen drop the window a bit and tighten.
Second, get some silicone spray and give the rubber around the top and sides of the window a dose.
Only works for a couple of months at a time, but a lot cheaper and easier than sourcing and replacing door rubbers.

bones308

Reaction score
Members Ride
vts 1999 V6
mummbles
i think your right , it may be the windows because when I drop the two front down a couple of inches the creeking seems to be much less.
is there a video on How To Adjust Electric Windows?

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
I still have my VT that I purchased new in '99.
I think you might find that it is the windows that are creaking and not the door rubbers. To check drive where you know they creak and crack the window a tad.
If it is the windows you can first try adjusting them down a touch. There is a hex nut in the outer channel to do this. Loosen drop the window a bit and tighten.

I'm about due to do this on my front passenger window actually on the Clubsport.

mummbles

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF 2 SSV Redline Sportwagon
Adjustment Of Window Stop VT
The Following procedure should be used whenever adjustment of the window stop is required.
Adjustment maybe required when trying to rectify wind noise or water leaks.
Adjustment may also help in reducing creak/rattle noises that are generated between the door seal and the door frame opening moulding.

1~ lower window 150mm
2~ Loosen the window-stop lock-screw with an allen key and slide stop downwards 20mm
NOTE: Access to the lock screw is through a cutout in the door frame seal. On early production vehicles, access to the lock screw is gained by rolling back the seal.
3~ Tighten the lock screw just enough to hold the stop in position.
4~ Wind the window up until the top edge of glass just begins to preload the weatherstrip. Winding the window up also lifts the window stop into position.
5~ Use the Allen key to tighten the window stop in its newly adjusted position.

bones308

Reaction score
Members Ride
vts 1999 V6
thanks mummbles

sounds ticky, but I'll give it a go on the weekend.
thanks for the write up.

Bones308

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
It's a bit of a catch 22. Sure you might lessen the noise, but at the cost of the windows ability to seal. The VT-VZ was a good design in that they mounted solid tracks on the glass to alleviate pressure on the door reg and keep the glass in place, but as you've discovered, bad in that it creates a tight rubber/glass scenario. Once the soft felt wears off the rubber, you get this situation, which seems to occur faster on the electric window varieties.

Personally I'd be off to find some rubbers in better condition, i.e. off a VZ.

bones308

Reaction score
Members Ride
vts 1999 V6
hi pollushon

window or door rubbers, is this something Rarespares have in sock?

also are VE the some fit?