Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT acceleration problem.

TheBluesMuse

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim
Hi.

Been having some issues with the acceleration on my VT.

First thing I noticed was about November last year when the car seemed to have some flat spots at certain revs when accelerating... I'd put my foot down as usual but it would really struggle to keep accelerating and I basically had to floor it.

Then I took the car on a trip for Christmas, the whole time when traveliing at 100kms-110kms it was like the car had a cough......almost like it would drop out ....this happened the whole time there.

Now it's at it's worst..it runs like **** and won't ever accelerate smoothly anymore.

I don't want to take it into my mechanic cos he knows I'm a clueless Chick and I don't trust him to get to the problem properly and I reckon he will over charge me..so I kinda want to diagnose the problem a little and then get my brother in law to check it out for me.

Any help would be appreciated. I'd like to start with the cheapest thing first approach, lol.

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
Spark plugs or leads is a likely cause of a miss and judging by your description a miss is what you have. How long since the plugs and leads have been changed?

TheBluesMuse

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim
Hey thanks for the reply.

I have had the car about a year and I haven't changed anything. Not sure of the history of the car prior to that.

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
A new set of plugs and leads might help but it might not, it certainly wouldn't hurt. I don't really want you to waste any money but it is hard to say with any certainty what the problem is without actually looking at it. I have had many commodores over the years and every time one of them developed a miss it was always due to a faulty spark plug lead.
You could try checking the leads by starting the engine at night in a dark spot and looking at the leads to see if you can see any sparks jumping from them, if so replace the lead.