Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT Acclaim series 2, 19x8 enix hornets Running 245/35/19 tyres Strut Rubbing

jarretxx

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Aclaim
I own a 2000 Vt commy,
Iv had to swap out my rims for rego back to my stockies,

After removing my 19 enix hornets I noticed some Rubbing on the Strut, But when driving the car I haven't heard it scraping,
Not to sure about the offset of the wheel.

Is this normal ?
Should I get a wheel alignment?
Should I invest in some spacers ?
If so what size my rims don't have the bolt holes some rims do to allow for spacers.
And will I have to get my guards rolled ?

And any other advice you could give me. I'm sorta new to this stuff and its hard to find a definitive answer.

Last edited:

Turtl3

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais V8 International
Pretty sure 245s r ok on the rear but anything wider than 235s on the front will rub. U could get some very small spacers about 3-5mm and throw them in, u will still have plenty of thread on the studs to hold the rim firmly. Not sure if that 3-5mm would then cause issues with the tyres hitting the guards at full lock??

jarretxx

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Aclaim
Pretty sure 245s r ok on the rear but anything wider than 235s on the front will rub. U could get some very small spacers about 3-5mm and throw them in, u will still have plenty of thread on the studs to hold the rim firmly. Not sure if that 3-5mm would then cause issues with the tyres hitting the guards at full lock??

Can I get the wheel alignment adjusted to prevent this ?
and get my guards rolled ?

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
245/35/19s are standard on my VX GTS. Like you, I have noticed some signs of rubbing on the front struts, but never noticed anything during normal driving. Unless you are seeing significant signs of wear on the insides of your front tyres, I would just ignore the rubbing and enjoy your car. Also, not all 245/35/19 tyres are the same width, if you are concerned about your problem, you could always change to a tyre that is the same rated size but a little smaller in width.

kangavxss

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX SS
Had 245/35/19 on my ss and no rubbing at all..that was with ssv thunder rims..It all depends on the offset of your wheel which will determine how far out or in it mounts and how close it will be to your strut or the opposite to your guard. A wheel alignment adjustment to the camber might bring it out a bit to stop the rubbing ( ask the alignment guy to try and do this).
Other than that try a 235 wide tyre.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Can I get the wheel alignment adjusted to prevent this ?
and get my guards rolled ?

Wheel alignment won't do anything as the position of the spring seat and the knuckle in relation to each other are fixed. You might be able to camber it out with the adjuster screw on the knuckle but I dare say you would just end up with positive camber.

Pretty pointless rolling the guards if the tyre isn't fouling on them.

jarretxx

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Aclaim
Had 245/35/19 on my ss and no rubbing at all..that was with ssv thunder rims..It all depends on the offset of your wheel which will determine how far out or in it mounts and how close it will be to your strut or the opposite to your guard. A wheel alignment adjustment to the camber might bring it out a bit to stop the rubbing ( ask the alignment guy to try and do this).
Other than that try a 235 wide tyre.

Will the tyre fit standard though ? 19x8 inch rims

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
235 will fit onto an 8" rim no problems.