Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT Air Compressor

DeiCide

DeiCide
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT S2 L67
I'm in the process of choosing a new unit as mine has died (leaking compressor).
I'm curious what other people have bought and used and what advice they can share.

Commodore VT VX VY V6 Air conditioning Compressor-NEW! (eBay item 390293563522 end time 31-Mar-11 21:17:20 AEDST) : Cars, Bikes, Boats
I'm currently looking at one of these as they are going for $350 incl. post and a filter/o-rings. (1 year warranty)

I got a quote from my local mechanic for $488 (genuine original but no filter or o-rings) but after reading that eBay description I'm not so sure about the original units anymore (as mine died from the posted reasons). If anyone can share their thoughts and/or experience I'd love to hear it.
Thanks.

simulacrum

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
I'm looking at getting a compressor as well. Thinking I might save some cash by fitting it myself then get the pros to fill it and check for/fix leaks. I was looking at this one. For those that can't be bothered clicking the spiel in the auction description is:

BE very careful when choosing a replacement compressor for your VT, VX or VY.

The original vehicle fit to the VT, VX and VY was a Delphi V5 compressor model number 1135257. The “V5” part of the number is the type of compressor. It is a 5 cylinder variable swash plate type of compressor that uses a pressure sensitive control valve to adjust the angle of the swash plate and there for the length of piston throw from no pump to 100% pump.

The original compressor was made out of the Delphi factory and Holden experienced thousands of warranty issues with them over the entire production run of the VT. The main three problems were leaking front seals, a premature wear of the adjustable pivot point causing them to go to the no pump position and a faulty discharge leaf valve plate that would break the rivets on the plate and cause equalised suction and discharge pressure.

Delphi tried several times to fix the various problems but never particularly successfully. The probable reason you are looking for a new pump is because your original has done exactly this. BUY THE SAME TYPE OF COMPRESSOR AND YOU MAY EXPERIENCE THE SAME FAULT AGAIN!

Our VT, VX, VY compressor have come from a different factory and all the problem issues have been rectified to ensure long lasting service. They are the compressor of choice for the Trade throughout Australia and have been sold with out issues for many years.

To tell the difference, if the compressor picture shows a centre studded bolt where the pipes connect then it is the genuine unit with the genuine problems.

I wonder if there is any truth to this. If anyone can enlighten me it'd be much appreciated.

Cheers.

TonyJZX

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore M6
i was told that if has different delco numbers to the orginal so any you buy now are the fixed ones that don't fail quickly

$488 sounds decent fitted IMO

DeiCide

DeiCide
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT S2 L67
Thanks for the comments so far.

@Mick1988
So the eBay listed one should be fine then correct? And what differences did they make to the series 2/later models units? how did they prevent the pressed seal from leaking? (as this is what happened to mine.)

@TonyJZX
I should of been more clear that price is only the unit supplied not fitted. The quote as written:
$488 Compressor
$99 Gas
$132 Labor
$15 Seals

Kernal

Reaction score
Members Ride
Got one of those ebay ones for 350 4 yrs ago. Local auto electrician/air con shop fit it up and regassed the system for 220ish. In the recent 40+ degree weather i was frezzing in the car. Well worth it i reckon.

DeiCide

DeiCide
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT S2 L67
WPN-42L thanks for that comment, so I'm guessing you've had it 4 years and no problems/leaks? If so, that's basically convinced me to get one. :)

pablo

Donating member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Was a 1997 vt v6 wagon
It was only the early VT's that had the aircon compressor that leaked after a few years. Subsequent replacement ones have no more problems with the leaky 'O' rings, according to the car aircon mob that replaced my friggin faulty one a coupla years ago.

simulacrum

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
Thanks wpn-42l.. sounds like the plan is well worth it.. Last few times the temp was 28 or over it's been killing me!