Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT air con/heating problems HELP please

Unitbd10

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt commodore
Ok so I'm totally clueless female about cars, but it's hot so I need help lol.

So when I brought my car the heating and air con didn't work, when I turn it on nothing comes out at all not even on fan!! Only noise it makes is a little quick 2second shhh noise!

What do I need to do to fix this? Don't want to be completely ripped off because I'm so bloody clueless.

Thanks in advance!!

Tree cutter

Tree cutter
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais SuperchargedV6
Your heater controls are vacuum operated.There will be a hose that comes from your engine bay to your heater controls that needs to be connected for your heater controls to work. There are also hoses that run from your heater control to actuators that open or close flaps in your heater ducting so you can make the air go to either demist, vent or floor. The hiss you can hear is a vacuum leak somewhere which will be the cause of your heater controls not working. It could be something as simple as a hose that has fallen off or it could be a faulty actuator or the back of the heater controls could be leaking. If you are lucky you might only need to take one side off the consul to find the problem and fix it. If you need to take the heater controls out it is a bigger job.Its possible that someone has pulled a hose off somewhere when swapping the radio over at some stage.

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
It could be something to do with a vacuum leak,but I doubt it.If it was a vacuum leak,it would make a continuous hissing sound,its normal for the system to make a slight hiss noise for a second or two when changing the airflow direction from feet to face or windcreen etc.And as for the fan,Id check your fuses,some of which are located under the steering column behind the panel,and theres more located in the fuse box under the bonnet ..There should be a sticker near both sets of fuses to show which fuses are which.You will need to find the "heater fan" or "A/C fan" fuse.Once you find it ,then check to make sure its not blown.If you are not sure about checking it yourself,then ask a friend to check it out for you,or take it to somewhere thats recommended in your area,maybe ask friends where they take their cars.Some problems which involve getting to stuff thats located in behind the dash, can be expensive, because of the time it takes to take it all apart to get to the heater controls or whatever.So it can get expensive.Id get a few different quotes from reputable places and go for the best price.Places like ultra tune,K mart and holden dealers are mostly reputable and guarantee their work .Stay away from the greasy mechanic thats in the old shed in the back ally.Places like this are usually cheaper,but are also usually out to rob you by doing cheap crappy repairs.

Last edited: