Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT Auto Transmission Cooler - Installation questions

Project_Corty

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT LS1
Hey guys

Well after much thought I have opted to give my VT S2 LS1 automatic a transmission cooler.

Now I have read several threads and have different questions as a result. There is a thread on here that relates to a DIY installation but the pictures and links no longer work so it is hard to visualize the process. Also in another thread I read that fitting a trans cooler, although good and well may create problems in stop start traffic as there is no air flow effectively being passed through unlike a radiator which has fans drawing air through the system, even in a stationary position. So I had a search on the net and came across this item (B&M transmission cooler):

eBay

Now the principal reason for this type of trans cooler is the thermostat and temp operated fan. Looks good, is expensive but will do the job very well (from what it seems to be able to do). However upon looking at another thread and seeing the room for the front bumper bar (once removed) I saw the following :

Australian LS1 and Holden Forums

It made me less confident that I could actually fit it in this space. Also with the fan it will be slightly bulkier then a normal air cooled transmission cooler due to the attached fan. Do you guys reckon the B&M trans cooler will fit in this space remembering the bumper bar has to go back on? It will also need custom mounts on the cooler to mount to the car body I presume? Also what are the consequences of cutting transmission feed lines (providing you obviously cover them with appropriate quality ATF hose).

Also I read on another forum that the ATF hose has a tendency to collapse like the hose you can buy from Repco per metre. Is this correct for the pressure and heat generated in normal operation for a 4L60E in an LS1 or will this rubber hose provided it is ATF be suitable?

Lastly at what operating temperature does the transmission operate at without the fitment of an aftermarket trans cooler? I have read that "the dipstick should be cool when you take it out after checking it" and if this isn’t the case then you need to cool the transmission somehow? The fan will begin to work when temperatures are approximately 80 degrees celsius and above 175 degrees farenheit.

Appreciate any help. I’ve already had good help from knowledgeable people on this forum already and I do appreciate it. Thanks guys .

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX commodore
Hey guys

Well after much thought I have opted to give my VT S2 LS1 automatic a transmission cooler.

Now I have read several threads and have different questions as a result. There is a thread on here that relates to a DIY installation but the pictures and links no longer work so it is hard to visualize the process. Also in another thread I read that fitting a trans cooler, although good and well may create problems in stop start traffic as there is no air flow effectively being passed through unlike a radiator which has fans drawing air through the system, even in a stationary position. So I had a search on the net and came across this item (B&M transmission cooler):

eBay

Now the principal reason for this type of trans cooler is the thermostat and temp operated fan. Looks good, is expensive but will do the job very well (from what it seems to be able to do). However upon looking at another thread and seeing the room for the front bumper bar (once removed) I saw the following :

Australian LS1 and Holden Forums

It made me less confident that I could actually fit it in this space. Also with the fan it will be slightly bulkier then a normal air cooled transmission cooler due to the attached fan. Do you guys reckon the B&M trans cooler will fit in this space remembering the bumper bar has to go back on? It will also need custom mounts on the cooler to mount to the car body I presume? Also what are the consequences of cutting transmission feed lines (providing you obviously cover them with appropriate quality ATF hose).

Also I read on another forum that the ATF hose has a tendency to collapse like the hose you can buy from Repco per metre. Is this correct for the pressure and heat generated in normal operation for a 4L60E in an LS1 or will this rubber hose provided it is ATF be suitable?

Lastly at what operating temperature does the transmission operate at without the fitment of an aftermarket trans cooler? I have read that "the dipstick should be cool when you take it out after checking it" and if this isn’t the case then you need to cool the transmission somehow? The fan will begin to work when temperatures are approximately 80 degrees celsius and above 175 degrees farenheit.

Appreciate any help. I’ve already had good help from knowledgeable people on this forum already and I do appreciate it. Thanks guys .
Hi I have a vx and I fitted a transmission cooler with fan. Overall depth around 70 mm. I have at bottom of cooler as it's tighter about 20 mm clearance and top around 60mm. I flattened original bracket and made to suit. Only cos I didn't have aluminum angle . Hope this helps ! Cheers

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX commodore
I still have an inch gap as I put my fingers in behind on bottom. So it can work just if your power steering line touches the fan you might have to go higher. I bent my power steering line a bit and put a bitumen based aluminum tape ( 1 mm thick but cushy! Cheers

Attachments

• 1606192946852532791988805931435.jpg
    1606192946852532791988805931435.jpg
    230.7 KB · Views: 111