Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT Berlina - Alternator Issues

tazwegion

Reaction score
Members Ride
1997 VT Berlina
Our old VT Berlina (430,000Km) recently developed charging issues, battery went bad (wouldn't hold charge overnight) and so got replaced with a new Delkor unit, 2 days later the charge light came on, checked voltages (engineering mode and multimeter) and 11.9v was the norm at idle, a new regulator was sourced/installed making sure to also replace the outer heat protection tubing/spaghetti for the leads to the alternator (which had become brittle) only to note 2 whisps of smoke on start up and an alternator casing that was exceptionally hot (with that electrical burn odour), alternator was removed and all work rechecked as correct.

Voltage is 12.5v on standing for the battery with no noticable increase on start up but does approach 13.5v (engineering mode) whilst driving on occasion, a new whine/whistle sound has also developed along with the ever present feint electrical smell.

Just how hot are these alternators supposed to get?

Feels like we are buying a new car a part at a time LOL :p

tazwegion

Reaction score
Members Ride
1997 VT Berlina
2c this morning with a frost on the ground so pretty damn cold, voltage at dash cluster (engineering mode) sat on 13.9v for most of a short 4km trip dropping eventually to 12.8v, I think this alternator has overheated and output drops off the hotter it becomes so off to the car bone yard for a donor part this morning me thinks

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
1st option -
Replace the alternator with a Change-Over, [usually comes with a Warranty]
Unless you have the equipment to repair the existing one,
ie: Bearings, Slips Rings & Regulator,

2nd option -
If your strapped for cash, get one from a Wreckers that will get you going, till you can afford to get a C/O one.

There are Wreckers in Melbourne that will pick a good one and ship it to you in Mildura. [thats if you don't have any available up there]

Last edited:

tazwegion

Reaction score
Members Ride
1997 VT Berlina
Thanks for your reply, I grabbed a second hand unit from the bone yard this morning (when they opened) for $88 and installed the new regulator (I had bought initially) on that, problem solved voltages now behaving as expected, alternator running warm but not thermo nuclear hot.

Never had an alternator overheat/cook before (have owned various vehicles), you live and learn, cheers :)