Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

DeathSammich

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina S1
Hi, i have a series 1 VT berlina and on the dash is reads 14.7 litres per 100. After changing spark plugs some of them were quite dark leading me to believe its running rich. How can i fix this? Its does 280xxxKms

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
Probably time to change oxygen sensors.

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
Most probably. Oxygen sensors lose efficiency over time, they have a life span of 80,000-100,00 kms. Don't buy cheapies on ebay, go for a well known brand. Oxygen sensors determine air/fuel mixture and faulty O2 sensors are the main reason for high fuel usage.
Also, you can't place to much credence on the fuel usage reading on the instrument cluster. It also depends on how you drive.

ar5boosted

Reaction score
Website
www.ar5boosted
Members Ride
VZ SV6
I've only just picked up a Commodore and just got it registered. So just speaking generally. I checked my highway f/c and it was 7.5l/100km and around town 11.5l/100km.

There's an alternate way to clean o2-sensors and that's to spray a mild amount of water from something like a hand-sprayer into the intake manifold for about 30-45 minutes. I always do that with a new car. It just gives everything a steam clean.

On one car, I used o2-sensor spacers and that took my fuel tank range up 100km or so.

Also, it's worth going to synthetic oil. Both in the Gearbox and Engine. You want to eliminate rolling resistance.

Finally, it's mostly to do with the ECU tune.

and then, after doing all of the above, ruining all your work with your love of the accelerator pedal - haha.

Also, check here:

http://www.fuelly.com/car/holden/commodore/1997
http://www.fuelly.com/car/holden/commodore/1998
http://www.fuelly.com/car/holden/commodore/1999
http://www.fuelly.com/car/holden/commodore/2000

to see what others have been getting from a similar vehicle.

Sean880

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SV6 ser 2 and 911 Porsche Carrera S 997
I took them out and soaked them in petrol over night. Do you think a replacement would fix my issue?

Yes the parts changing brigade will tell you to change your oxygen sensors without even knowing or testing if they are fully operational or not.

There are numerous causes for rich running and the cause in your case if running rich is indeed the symptom may have nothing to do with the O2 sensors.

The first thing you need to do is have the engine scanned to see what fault codes may have been generated . This will give a clue as to where to look for issues which in fact may only be on one bank of the engine rather than both. So any fault that is going to affect both banks of cylinders won't be a cause if it is a just bank 1 fault or just a bank 2 fault .

Yes you can go and change all the O2 sensors but if a number of leaky fuel injectors is the cause of the excess fuel consumption replacing the O2 sensors if they are fully operational is going to do diddly squat.

Like wise a faulty CS. The coolant sensor monitors the operating temperature of the coolant that is circulating inside the engine. If the sensor is defective and reads lower than normal, or always reads cold, the engine computer will keep operating in "open" loop and the fuel mixture remains rich. A richer fuel mixture is required while your cold engine is warming up to prevent it from stalling. But if the mixture remains rich once the engine is warm, it wastes the extra fuel and will cause poor fuel economy.

There are numerous other issues that could be the cause so you need to do some proper investigation before just replacing parts and hoping you stumbled on the cause especially without even testing those parts for performance.

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
Most probably. Oxygen sensors lose efficiency over time, they have a life span of 80,000-100,00 kms. Don't buy cheapies on ebay, go for a well known brand. Oxygen sensors determine air/fuel mixture and faulty O2 sensors are the main reason for high fuel usage.
Also, you can't place to much credence on the fuel usage reading on the instrument cluster. It also depends on how you drive.

Yes the parts changing brigade will tell you to change your oxygen sensors without even knowing or testing if they are fully operational or not.

There are numerous causes for rich running and the cause in your case if running rich is indeed the symptom may have nothing to do with the O2 sensors.

The first thing you need to do is have the engine scanned to see what fault codes may have been generated . This will give a clue as to where to look for issues which in fact may only be on one bank of the engine rather than both. So any fault that is going to affect both banks of cylinders won't be a cause if it is a just bank 1 fault or just a bank 2 fault .

Yes you can go and change all the O2 sensors but if a number of leaky fuel injectors is the cause of the excess fuel consumption replacing the O2 sensors if they are fully operational is going to do diddly squat.

Like wise a faulty CS. The coolant sensor monitors the operating temperature of the coolant that is circulating inside the engine. If the sensor is defective and reads lower than normal, or always reads cold, the engine computer will keep operating in "open" loop and the fuel mixture remains rich. A richer fuel mixture is required while your cold engine is warming up to prevent it from stalling. But if the mixture remains rich once the engine is warm, it wastes the extra fuel and will cause poor fuel economy.

There are numerous other issues that could be the cause so you need to do some proper investigation before just replacing parts and hoping you stumbled on the cause especially without even testing those parts for performance.

After 280,000kms changing the O2 sensors will probably be a benefit. O2 sensors don't always throw a code when they are not working to their optimum.