Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vt Blower Fan

Discussion in 'VT - VX Holden Commodore (1997 - 2002)' started by gsmrobinson, Jan 28, 2004.

1. gsmrobinson

gsmrobinson New Member

VT BLOWER FAN
    REMOVAL

1. Open glove box
    2. Using a large flat blade screwdriver pry the black pin, found inside the left hand side of the glove box, out.
    3. Remove the glove box by pulling slightly to the driver’s side and out.
    4. Remove 5x screws from the glove box surround trim on the left hand side of the glove box area.
    5. Remove glove box surround trim, should just about fall out.
    6. Remove 2x screws from inside the ½” holes located at the left hand side dashboard door duct trim on the left hand side of the dash.
    7. Remove 1x screw on the same dashboard door duct trim located inside the triangular air duct above the main duct.
    8. Remove dashboard door duct trim.
    9. Pull passengers seat fully back on its rails.
    10. Locate and remove 1x screw on the passengers side trim on the side of the center console.
    11. Remove 3x screws holding this same center console side trim on at the right hand side of the glove box surround. (The two lower screw and one located underneath)
    12. Remove trim.
    13. Undo 10x screws from glove box surround. 4x at top, 2x bottom, 2x right and side at top, and 2x left hand side outer (located behind the dashboard door duct trim).
    14. Drop glove box surround down.
    15. Remove 2x 1 pin clear electrical plugs from glove box light.
    16. Remove 2x 1 pin black electrical plugs from glove box light switch on the right hand side of glove box surround.
    17. Remove 1x 2 pin white electrical plug from boot release switch.
    18. Pry 2x cable hold down pins from rear of glove box surround.
    19. Remove glove box surround.
    20. Pry the under dash kick tray down from the right hand side.
    21. Remove under dash kick tray by sliding to the right. (Locating pins on left hand side).
    22. Remove 1x 2 pin electrical plug from blower motor (red and yellow wires)
    23. Untape 2x vacuum lines from underneath the blower fan cover trim.
    24. Pull the same 2x vacuum lines from locaters under the same blower fan cover trim.
    25. Remove 3x coarse thread screws from the blower fan cover trim. 1x front left hand side behind steal bar, 1x right hand side near foot duct outlet, 1x left hand side at the rear near firewall.
    26. Remove blower fan cover trim.
    27. Undo 3x long coarse thread screws with large washers from the blower fan motor.
    28. Drop blower fan motor assembly down and out.

REFITTING POINTS

1. Make sure the blower fan is located correctly before refitting.
    2. Make sure all wiring is reconnected.
    3. Refit under dash kick tray via the left hand side pins first and push up on right hand side.
    4. Re-tape vacuum hoses to trim.
    5. Fit the left hand side of glove box first watching the locating pins, then push the right hand locating pin back in once aligned.

By Guy Robinson.

2. WeeMan

WeeMan Guest

Can someone tell me the advantages/disadvantages of doing this and the other stickied thing???

3. gsmrobinson

gsmrobinson New Member

Only use of this post is to replace/check the Blower fan if you have lost all of the fan speeds and everything else is ok such as fuses, relays etc. Else its means jack.

Regards Guy.

4. Sherman

Sherman Guest

How do you do it on a VX Calais. According to the Haynes
    VX/VT mechanics manual all you have to do is go underneath the glovebox and remove the kick panel. Upon doing this their apprently is a panel to unscrew to gain access to the blower motor. Then you can unscrew the motor and it should drop out therotically. The problem is I have just did a small attempt myself but the Haynes manual does not state it clearly enough. This looks like a small job that is made to appear like a massive costly job- in otherwords a bullshit mechanic will charge you an arm and a leg and claim it is a twelve hour job and the entire dashboard needs to be lifted. So someone can you please show me how to do this???

5. Redfox

Redfox New Member

My air con blower is making a squeeking noise that is consistent with the speed of the fan. I dunno if any of you guys have experienced this before, but it is extremely annoying! If i dropped the blower fan, would it be quite easy to squirt in a bit of silicone spray to stop the damn thing making that noise? If so, where should I spray it?

6. gaza70

gaza70 Guest

Faulty Fan

My blower fan faulted and would not switch on. Checked fuses etc and all appeared OK (I have a berlina and was worried about the "soft switch" and wondering how much that was going to cost if the switch was at fault! - so I determined the fan at fault. I stuck my head under the passenger side dash and removed the fan.

I took it down the shed and put 12 volts on it, sure enough, no spin. I decided to take the fan apart (thinking if it was stuffed anyway, I couldnt do any harm) I pried back the two tabs retaining the end cap (where the motor brushes are) and followed the connector wires and noticed a "trip switch" (looks like a set of contacts in a distributer). I used a screw drive to flick them open and they snapped shut. (I think it is used as an overload breaker??) Anyway when they snapped shut, dust and carbon crap came out. It seemed to be quite dirty with alot of carbon deposits. So I cleaned it up with a bit of emery paper, gave it a bit of compressed air and reassembled the motor.

Put 12 volts on it and Low and behold, it works! Put it back in the car and has been working fine ever since.

7. VTCommo98

VTCommo98 Guest

Hey man I got the same problem.

When I took it for a service the dude told me it was ****ed and had to replace it at the price of $300. So I told him to jam it, I notice that when it dies, I give the glovebox a fair smack and it starts up again (50%) of the time. I'm gonna try and pull it apart today and see if it's dirty or something. But I definetley don't want to lash out 300 bucks on a new one.

Anyone had this problem before and could tell me what the reason is. Coz the service guy claimed it was some electrical problem, and I'm thinking well all the fuses are good and if u smack it, it restarts so u must be full of ****...

Anyway, I'll try this in the mean time but let me know plz.

Loz

8. trademark

trademark New Member

Members Ride:
    VX Executive S/W
    Squeeky blower fan

Hi RedFox,
    Yeah, I have exactly the same problem with my blower fan. I took the actual motor out from behind the glove box, and sprayed some silicone spray on the moving parts that I could clearly see. The squeeking is still there, even though I have tried the same thing several times. Have you had any luck yet ?
    TM

9. webwombat

webwombat New Member

Members Ride:
    MY10 VE SS-V wagon
    Had my VX blower fan replaced as it carked it - costed $90 to replace and labour.

10. VT2LS1

VT2LS1 Guest

G'day all,

I have a VT2 Berlina with Climate control, My fan was making a humming noise which got louder as you turned up the speed of the fan. Not really loud but you could notice it. Next day it wouldnt work at all on any speed. I banged my glovebox hard and it came back to life but still makes the humming noise.

Does it sound like debris? Worth taking to a dealer? Looking at those instructions above it looks like its quite complex in getting the fan out and I would be worried about getting everything back in place properly.

Trying to avoid paying Holden $500 + in labour here you see.

Please help!

Cheers

VT2LS1

11. Pom

Pom New Member

Members Ride:
    VX Calais
    VX Blower repair

My blower was left on full. The following day, I started the car and the blower was dead on all settings. The repair was simple. I checked the Blower Fuse under the bonnet (40A Fusible Link F/L). That was Ok, I checked the two relays under the steering column by setting the blower control to max with the ignition. They both clicked when pulled out individually. I then stuck my head under the passenger side. Pulled out the power lead to the fan. I checked there was 12V present with a DMM or 12V globe. It was all present and correct. I then removed the fan cover by taking out the 4 securing phillips screws. I removed the fan by loosening the 3 retaining screws. The fan motor came apart easily by removing the two retaining bolts on the casing end cap. In there I found a bi-metal heat protection switch. It was dirty. Cleaned the switch with a small file. I then put the motor back together, checked it by reconnecting it to the blower wire. It worked fine. Refitting was easy and just the reverse of removing it.

Hope that helps.

Pom

12. kinga

kinga New Member

Members Ride:
    VZ Wagon
    Just pulled the noisy fan out of my VZ. All you have to do is take off the bottom kick panel under/behind the glovebox(just pulls off) then undo three screws and it is out. easy as.
    My fan was just noisy but still worked, sprayed hell out of it with air compressor, then sprayed crc and light chain lube down the vent part to the side and it is quiet now, excellent!

13. pete001

pete001 New Member

Members Ride:
    VS Acclaim wagon
    Hey, I need to thank all you guys for posting this thread. I was driving to work today in 35 degree heat and the fan stoped working in my VT series 2. when i got home I checked all the fuses and they seemed to be fine. I also checked that there was power to the fan by pulling the plug out from the fan its self. After seeing that all this was ok i wasnt sure what to do untill i read this thread. anyway, after pulling the fan out which was about a 2 minute job i pulled it apart and cleaned it from all the soot and garbage then put it back together, she now works sweet with no problems at all. So once again THANKS to every one for your help.

14. wazza675

wazza675 New Member

Members Ride:
    VE Omega Sportwagon
    Thanks Pom.

I stripped mine out today, pulled the motor down & cleaned it out. I rubbed the brushes back (and even tried swapping them around in the housing), greased the shaft end that sits in the cap and STILL had nothing. I must have pulled it apart half a dozen times. My wife called her father's garage and the mechanic said to test it off the battery with a wire to each terminal... NOTHING. In the end, I gave up and called the wreckers... they didn't answer. So knowing that it was rooted, I re-read this thread (and a few others) and tried again, but this time I found that little contact switch Pom described. YEAH BABY... next time I tested it across the battery it nearly spun out of my hand.

Thanks Pom - no one else has mentioned that little switch (that sits at 90 degrees to the brushes).

15. drengur

drengur New Member

Members Ride:
    VTII Supercharged Calais
    I found that apart from the carbon and that switch, one of the brush springs had lost its springiness! Un-compressing the spring and reassembling fixed the little bastard, but probably a replacement job in the near future.

Be very careful pulling off the circuit board under the cap as the other brush spring almost launched itself as I pulled it out.

16. Dezza

Dezza your local HSV dealer

Members Ride:
    VX SS M6
    anyone got pics? would be much appreciated :)

17. *VN88*

*VN88* New Member

Members Ride:
    VN Ex V6S1 man/VX Acc l67/VT Ex wag
    cheers for the write up! vx fan stopped working on a 40 degree day, pulled her out gave everything a good blow out cleaned all contacts and gave it an rp7 and its back up and running.

18. jessvx

jessvx New Member

Members Ride:
    vx commodore
    Does anyone have pics or a site that will help us get to the blower fan on a 2000 vx, it kept cutting in and oit and is completely gome now...

19. Nut Kracker

Nut Kracker Kamikraze

Members Ride:
    VT SS 304ci (195i)
  20. luichia

luichia Guest

Really helpful

I just removed the blower motor and cleaned it. I took some pics. No need to touch the glove box. The symptom was the interior fan not blew air at all, but I could hear it turn on. After I cleaned the blower motor, so far so good, hope it can last for another few months.

It's located under the glove box.
    The pic is taken after I removed the motor cover and the blower motor.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/140960144@N05/shares/1820Vz
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/140960144@N05/shares/N0123n
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/140960144@N05/shares/63r9n1

Last edited by a moderator: May 15, 2016