Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vt Blower Fan

Pom

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais
VX Blower repair

My blower was left on full. The following day, I started the car and the blower was dead on all settings. The repair was simple. I checked the Blower Fuse under the bonnet (40A Fusible Link F/L). That was Ok, I checked the two relays under the steering column by setting the blower control to max with the ignition. They both clicked when pulled out individually. I then stuck my head under the passenger side. Pulled out the power lead to the fan. I checked there was 12V present with a DMM or 12V globe. It was all present and correct. I then removed the fan cover by taking out the 4 securing phillips screws. I removed the fan by loosening the 3 retaining screws. The fan motor came apart easily by removing the two retaining bolts on the casing end cap. In there I found a bi-metal heat protection switch. It was dirty. Cleaned the switch with a small file. I then put the motor back together, checked it by reconnecting it to the blower wire. It worked fine. Refitting was easy and just the reverse of removing it.

Hope that helps.

Pom

kinga

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Wagon
Just pulled the noisy fan out of my VZ. All you have to do is take off the bottom kick panel under/behind the glovebox(just pulls off) then undo three screws and it is out. easy as.
My fan was just noisy but still worked, sprayed hell out of it with air compressor, then sprayed crc and light chain lube down the vent part to the side and it is quiet now, excellent!

pete001

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim wagon
Hey, I need to thank all you guys for posting this thread. I was driving to work today in 35 degree heat and the fan stoped working in my VT series 2. when i got home I checked all the fuses and they seemed to be fine. I also checked that there was power to the fan by pulling the plug out from the fan its self. After seeing that all this was ok i wasnt sure what to do untill i read this thread. anyway, after pulling the fan out which was about a 2 minute job i pulled it apart and cleaned it from all the soot and garbage then put it back together, she now works sweet with no problems at all. So once again THANKS to every one for your help.

wazza675

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega Sportwagon
Thanks Pom.

I stripped mine out today, pulled the motor down & cleaned it out. I rubbed the brushes back (and even tried swapping them around in the housing), greased the shaft end that sits in the cap and STILL had nothing. I must have pulled it apart half a dozen times. My wife called her father's garage and the mechanic said to test it off the battery with a wire to each terminal... NOTHING. In the end, I gave up and called the wreckers... they didn't answer. So knowing that it was rooted, I re-read this thread (and a few others) and tried again, but this time I found that little contact switch Pom described. YEAH BABY... next time I tested it across the battery it nearly spun out of my hand.

Thanks Pom - no one else has mentioned that little switch (that sits at 90 degrees to the brushes).

drengur

Reaction score
Members Ride
VTII Supercharged Calais
Thanks Pom.

I stripped mine out today, pulled the motor down & cleaned it out. I rubbed the brushes back (and even tried swapping them around in the housing), greased the shaft end that sits in the cap and STILL had nothing. I must have pulled it apart half a dozen times. My wife called her father's garage and the mechanic said to test it off the battery with a wire to each terminal... NOTHING. In the end, I gave up and called the wreckers... they didn't answer. So knowing that it was rooted, I re-read this thread (and a few others) and tried again, but this time I found that little contact switch Pom described. YEAH BABY... next time I tested it across the battery it nearly spun out of my hand.

Thanks Pom - no one else has mentioned that little switch (that sits at 90 degrees to the brushes).

I found that apart from the carbon and that switch, one of the brush springs had lost its springiness! Un-compressing the spring and reassembling fixed the little bastard, but probably a replacement job in the near future.

Be very careful pulling off the circuit board under the cap as the other brush spring almost launched itself as I pulled it out.

Dezza

your local HSV dealer
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS M6
anyone got pics? would be much appreciated :)

*VN88*

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Ex V6S1 man/VX Acc l67/VT Ex wag
cheers for the write up! vx fan stopped working on a 40 degree day, pulled her out gave everything a good blow out cleaned all contacts and gave it an rp7 and its back up and running.

jessvx

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx commodore
Does anyone have pics or a site that will help us get to the blower fan on a 2000 vx, it kept cutting in and oit and is completely gome now...

L

luichia

Really helpful

I just removed the blower motor and cleaned it. I took some pics. No need to touch the glove box. The symptom was the interior fan not blew air at all, but I could hear it turn on. After I cleaned the blower motor, so far so good, hope it can last for another few months.

It's located under the glove box.
The pic is taken after I removed the motor cover and the blower motor.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/140960144@N05/shares/1820Vz
https://www.flickr.com/photos/140960144@N05/shares/N0123n
https://www.flickr.com/photos/140960144@N05/shares/63r9n1

Last edited by a moderator: