Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT brake master cylinder onto VR

dons vs

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs ute
After a hour or so of searching with a bunch of peoples suggestions but no real idea of exactly what needed to be done i found a good write up on a calais turbo site
How to adapt the VT Master Cylinder to early model Commodores - calaisturbo.com.au
obviously for the vl's but im guessing it will be much the same onto a vr.
couple of questions i need to know.
1. are vr and vs brake boosters the same? (reason being the link above says to use a vs plastic booster im wondering if i can use my standard one or if i have to buy a vs one.
2. Do vr utes come with abs? i havent even looked in the ute yet as we only got it the other week and we havent even touched it yet.
im guessing all vt master cylinders are gonna be for abs so not sure if im going to be able to use the vt cylinder or not?.
3. has anybody else successfully done the conversion this way by using a vs booster and the vt master and shortening the push rod on the booster to suit?.
4. is the vt booster any better or necessary? i know the ratio is higher but does it make any significant changers that need to be addressed?

stocky

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 HSV Clubsport T5, 1991 VN Berlina
the vr booster is different to the vs one. no need to shorten the push rod if youre using a vs booster

dons vs

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs ute
so a vs booster bolts straight onto the vr wirewall/bracket with no mods
and the vt master cylinder bolts onto the vs booster with no mods correct?

centy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vp series 2
not sure about bolting master cylinders to boosters yet.
vr booster is a steel cased single diaphragm
vs booster is a plastic cased slightly large diaphragm
vt booster is a small diameter dual diphragm.
so vt booter is longer and may foul on the strut tower.
ask me in a couple weeks. I plan to tyre and fit a vy r8 booster and cylinder if i can.