Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT Brake Upgrade on VS

HamaTime™

VIP Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
C Class AMG
FYI

VT discs have a 71.5mm center bore.
VS is 70.0mm.
VT discs require a shim to center the disc on the VS hub.

After all that, I would go VE as I have VT's on my VS and personally, I wouldn't bother.

*Slaps myself on wrist I completely forgot about the hub shims :(

ben315vz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'05 Holden VZ Calais V8
Oh, I forgot to ask, what happens with the backing plate? Can you still use it? Do you remove it and leave it off? Or do you have to get a VE backing plate?

Not too worried if I do have to leave it off, BA and BF Falcons don't have front or rear backing plates, just the metal plates that sit between the rotor and wheel.

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
just trim it to clear the calipers and rotors.

another option which could be cheaper down the long run and if its needed, change your front wheel hubs for the VT ones then you wont have to run shims..

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
just trim it to clear the calipers and rotors.

another option which could be cheaper down the long run and if its needed, change your front wheel hubs for the VT ones then you wont have to run shims..

But then you would be running VT brakes, thus the need to change the master cylinder and booster remains.

The VE upgrade doesn't require this and is a direct fit with no need for the shims. The rotors will always be available as well at the same price as the special slotted rotors.

To superchargedvs6, the rear rotors are the same size as the stock ones, no need to go bigger. The fronts are the 322mm.

ben315vz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'05 Holden VZ Calais V8
But then you would be running VT brakes, thus the need to change the master cylinder and booster remains.

The VE upgrade doesn't require this and is a direct fit with no need for the shims. The rotors will always be available as well at the same price as the special slotted rotors.

To superchargedvs6, the rear rotors are the same size as the stock ones, no need to go bigger. The fronts are the 322mm.

Thanks very much for your help (and everyone else), I will let you know when i'm ready to buy them off you, just need to pay off a couple of things first before I spend anymore money.

Just have another question, most of the rear rotor upgrades are vented and not solid. Are the ones your selling vented or solid? I know that the front brakes are the most important because they do most of the work.

And do I have to modify the backing plates for the front and rear or change them?

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
super please let us know how they are after u fit them.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
The rears are solid, but they are the same curve slotted and dimpled design as the front.

Yes, I think there is a small bit of the backing plate that has to be trimmed off to suit the larger caliper.

ben315vz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'05 Holden VZ Calais V8
super please let us know how they are after u fit them.

Yeah no worries mate, will definitely let you know what they are like.

The rears are solid, but they are the same curve slotted and dimpled design as the front.

Yes, I think there is a small bit of the backing plate that has to be trimmed off to suit the larger caliper.

Ok no worries, at least they will look the same through the wheels. I think thats all the questions I wanted to ask and thanks for your help and answering them. Looking forward to buying them off you :)

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
I have the same pattern rotor on our Senator and they look good as well as perform really well.

walesy

Aint no family cruiser!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Cherry Black WH II Caprice, VS exec wagon
hey abba does that mean with the VE upgrade you need a minimum of a 16in wheel for the front? ie:no 15in front runners?