Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vt brake warning light

yz300

Reaction score
Members Ride
1998 vt wagon
Hi. I.ve just bled my brakes on my vt wagon. Went for a drive and the hand brake/brake fail light is staying on and beeping at me. The brakes seem to work ok. Could i have knocked an abs wire or something? Any ideas? Thanks, Gus.

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
Did you refill the master cylinder reservoir?

yz300

Reaction score
Members Ride
1998 vt wagon
Hi. Thanks for your reply. I actually drained out what i could with a syringe as the oil was so dirty. I then used new oil for the bleeding. Just incase it might mean something, the first few times i took off after the job it sounded like a brake was sticking. I also hosed the bejesus out of the calipers. I used a one man bleeder thingo and a bit of oil leaked on the calipers. Thanks again for your reply.

Davo_vx

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx executive s2
Sounds like you may have air trapped somewhere. Also I had problems with my brakes grabbing when I first got mine and end up having to change the master cylinder and bleed the system to fix it.

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
ABS light is different to the handbrake light, did you make sure you kept fluid topped up at all times in the reserve ? If not you will have put air in the system so you will have to bleed out the system again.

yz300

Reaction score
Members Ride
1998 vt wagon
ABS light is different to the handbrake light, did you make sure you kept fluid topped up at all times in the reserve ? If not you will have put air in the system so you will have to bleed out the system again.
Hi. Thanks for your reply. Do you know if it.s possible to bleed the master cylinder? I did it on an XE a long time ago but can.t remember how. Can the ecu really tell that there.s air in the system? Thanks again, Gus.

ltdslip

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT2SS
From the owners manual...
"Park Brake & Brake Fail" warning lite, If the symbol illuminates while driving 'and' the park brake is released, a fault with the brakes is indicated.....
A warning will chime if you attempt to drive off without releasing the park brake.

From the service manual...
MASTER CYLINDER CONSTRUCTION
The internal parts of the master cylinder comprise a primary piston with an L type seal and an O-ring seal, a secondary valve which incorporates a centre valve, a caged spring and two L type seals, a return spring, a secondary piston stop pin, and a fast fill valve. In all vehicles, a proportioning valve is located in a parallel bore in the same casting. This valve is used to maintain the front to rear hydraulic pressure balance and, should one of the two separate systems fail, a separate piston and differential switch (brake warning lamp switch) are incorporated into the design, so that the vehicle operator can be warned of a system malfunction.

Might need to bleed the system again.

Last edited:

Davo_vx

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx executive s2
As itdslip has said I would suggest you you bleed it again, more than likely just got air in the system. Maybe get a mate and do the two person method and go from there if your still having dramas.

yz300

Reaction score
Members Ride
1998 vt wagon
Hi thanks for all your replies. As i emptied the fluid bowl and syringed what i could from wherever the bowl leads into the master, could there be air trapped up the top somewhere or do you think it.d eventually come out the calipers when i bleed again? I think that as i put more oil in before bleeding then any air would.ve just risen to the top. Does this sound right? Thanks again.
From the owners manual...
"Park Brake & Brake Fail" warning lite, If the symbol illuminates while driving 'and' the park brake is released, a fault with the brakes is indicated.....
A warning will chime if you attempt to drive off without releasing the park brake.

From the service manual...
MASTER CYLINDER CONSTRUCTION
The internal parts of the master cylinder comprise a primary piston with an L type seal and an O-ring seal, a secondary valve which incorporates a centre valve, a caged spring and two L type seals, a return spring, a secondary piston stop pin, and a fast fill valve. In all vehicles, a proportioning valve is located in a parallel bore in the same casting. This valve is used to maintain the front to rear hydraulic pressure balance and, should one of the two separate systems fail, a separate piston and differential switch (brake warning lamp switch) are incorporated into the design, so that the vehicle operator can be warned of a system malfunction.

Might need to bleed the system again.

yz300

Reaction score
Members Ride
1998 vt wagon
Hi. Thanks for your reply. Might you be able to read my reply above and tell me what you think?
As itdslip has said I would suggest you you bleed it again, more than likely just got air in the system. Maybe get a mate and do the two person method and go from there if your still having dramas.