Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT Calais electric seat rocks back and forward. Worn bush ???

outback rider

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais
I have a 1998 VT Calais. The driver's seat rocks back and forward slightly. This has nothing to do with the track or ratchet mechanism.
The problem is with the bushes. The threaded rods go through the electric motors. At the other end, they mount via a plastic bush and pin to the seat frame. As the motor moves, the threaded rods move the seat frame back or forward.

The bushes are sloppy, hence the movement. This problem must happen to everyone.

All that is needed is to pull out the pin connecting the threaded rods to the seat frame, push out the bushes and insert new bushes. I have checked with Holden and you can't buy the bushes separately. How have others fixed this.

Thanks.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
You can take them to a plastic place and get them remade. We have a company here that can do that.

Reaction score
Website
www.cardomain.com
Members Ride
VE SportWagon International A4
I have the same problem with my Senator. Never found a solution on here. So I never bothered to remove the seat.

goose202

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais L77, VX Calais LS1, VW T-ROC
Old thread, but my VX Calais driver seat both slid backwards and forwards, and rocked.
The sliding was due to the "nut" on the threaded rod being loose on it's mount. I fixed that by adding a washer to the mount.
IMG20120127_005.jpg

The rocking was due to play in the motor that controls the lift on the front of the seat. I fixed that by bushing it up with a homemade plastic washer. Had to remove the pin at the front of the rod to get it out.
IMG20120127_004.jpg

IMG20120127_003.jpg

Simply undoing the four seat bolts and tipping it back gives enough room to work.

Reaction score
Website
www.cardomain.com
Members Ride
I believe mine is a little bit different. It look like the movement is at the end of the threaded rod that adjust the seat back and forth on the seat rails. Again a plastic washer between the nut and bracket may fix the movement.

[video=youtube_share;G_ncRYiZU9g]http://youtu.be/G_ncRYiZU9g[/video]

The nut I speak of, are at the bottom of the image at the end of each of the threaded rods.

20120428_144909.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Drewie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS (Original owner).
My driver's seat in the VX SS rocked when you shifted your weight in the seat or braked and your weight moved. Holden fitted a complete new seat base under new car warranty, there must have been some issues with the seats as they just said yes it has movement in the seat we will fit a complete new base.
It has been fine since, I think the car was maybe 2 years old at the time. There was either a faulty batch or they revised something along the way.

oska

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx custom 600RR
there is a holden fix of which i need to do too

part #92148372 it's only a thicker washer

Reaction score
Website
www.cardomain.com
Members Ride
I made up a couple of plastic washer at work from some 5 flat plastic. An ID of 12mm is required to slide the washer down the threaded rod and OD should be around the 20mm mark. I fitted them last night and they have fix the problem. There is no more movement back and forth.

dags061

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH Vacationer 253, VH SL 185 pack 253
Have the same problem. I just dont raise the seat anymore.You have to buy the whole seat base from HOLDEN to fix it.

killboypowerhad

Reaction score
Members Ride
98 VT Calais
Sorry for the thread necromancy but I'm having the same issue with a 98' VT Calais I've just bought. The air-bag light is also permanently on which from I can tell from reading other threads is due to a sensor underneath the driver's seat. The rocking is pretty annoying, especially in stop-start traffic. I'm not very mechanically minded but if anyone could point me in the right direction any help would be awesome.