Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vt calais engine swap questions

Discussion in 'VT - VX Holden Commodore (1997 - 2002)' started by Milesvtcalais, Jan 5, 2020.

1. Milesvtcalais

Milesvtcalais New Member

Members Ride:
    Vt calais
    Hey guys, I understand this has probably been asked before but I've just joined "just Commodores" and have a quick question. So I'm replacing the motor on my calais as it has finally let go after 360.000ks and a full day of hooning on the track. I'm just wondering when you separate the motor from the transmission do you need to empty the fluid from the transmission as I imagine the torque converter goes into the flywheel or likewise. Also do I have to undo the transmission lines the go under the motor, like is there a bolt on the block I can undo and get away with leaving the transmission lines on or do I have to undo the lines straight at the box. Any other suggestions of stuff I could have missed would be great
    Thanks guys

2. Utel67

Utel67 Active Member

Members Ride:
    Vs s3 ute
    No you don't need to empty the fluid from the transmission, just unbolt the torque converter from the flex plate and push in to the transmission do this softly, yes there is a bolt holding the lines to the block undo that and disconnect the lines from the radiator, and move it over to the drivers side out of the way, you can also unbolt the power steering pump and air conditioning unit and sit them aside without disconnecting hoses, if you have not heard or seen the other motor running swap everything like sensor's, fuel rail/injectors, dfi and coils, throttle body, because you know all this was working on your engine.

krusing likes this.
  3. Milesvtcalais

Milesvtcalais New Member

Members Ride:
    Vt calais
    Thanks for you help man, I've already un done all the aircon lines and power steering I for now, I've seen the motor running and it runs well, its actually sitting in my garage right now. I'll let you know how the swap goes as it's a really good motor, it's only got 190.000ks on it and it was$160.

Lex likes this.
  4. _R_J_K_

_R_J_K_ Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    Zenki S14
    Should have just unbolted the compressor and the pump from the block and left them to the side in the engine bay, wouldn't need to regass the aircon then.

IMHO opinion if you're taking the engine out it's easier to just take the gearbox out with it, even if you don't need to.

losh1971 likes this.
  5. Milesvtcalais

Milesvtcalais New Member

Members Ride:
    Vt calais
    The aircon needed a regas anyway, just having troubles lining up the motor mounts, been stuck on it for hours. I think I'll just loosen them and try feed them into place.

6. Brysha89

Brysha89 Member

Members Ride:
    WH Statesman Gen 3 5.7 ls1 V8
    so you if the engine is out without the gearbox you will need to line the torque converter to the flex plate 1st then from there drop the drivers side mount in its hole by no more than 3 grooves on the mounts bolt from there take a rope put it around the passenger side mount and then pull once clicked in (you will hear it go in) lower engine into bay fully while helping jiggle the engine down

7. Milesvtcalais

Milesvtcalais New Member

Members Ride:
    Vt calais
    Thanks mate, ended up getting the motor in and it's all running good now, the engine mounts were a pain in the ass though. Just to get a Jimmy bar on the passenger side mount and force it into place. Probably not the best idea but it's in now
    Thanks for everyone's help :)