Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT Calais steering lock not engaging.

outback rider

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais
When I remove the key from the ignition of my 1998 VT Calais the steering lock doesn't engage.
With the key removed I turn the wheel a fair bit left and right but the steering doesn't lock. Everything else with the ignition and key is working fine. I'm pretty certain I used to hear a click sound when I removed the key.

I assume a pin extends into the column when the key is removed. Is the pin stiff and needs lubing?
If so how do I lube that area.

Any answers would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Burnout124

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Executive S2/ VY SS 6sp
the igniton barrel some times sticks spray some crc down the ignition barrel and try that.

outback rider

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais
Thanks, but tried WD40 with no change.
Normally when you insert and turn the key the barrel goes in about 4 mm and I assume releases the steering lock.
Then when you turn off and remove the key the barrel pops out about 4 mm, I assume locking the steering lock.
My barrel is IN all the time, no matter what the key does.

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
Thanks, but tried WD40 with no change.
Normally when you insert and turn the key the barrel goes in about 4 mm and I assume releases the steering lock.
Then when you turn off and remove the key the barrel pops out about 4 mm, I assume locking the steering lock.
My barrel is IN all the time, no matter what the key does.

Is your key hard to get out of the barrel sometimes? I have a similar problem and find that if I hold the centre of the barrel in with my finger while I remove the key it will allow it to pop out, thus engaging the steering lock. What also works with me is if the key is removed and barrel hasn't popped out, I push it in hard with fingernail and then let my fingernail slip off the edge of that centre grey plastic bit, it sort of flicks it and it pops out. It's hard to explain what I mean.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
This sometimes happens when a new barrel is fitted.

The spring on the lock may be broken too, you will have to remove the barrel and have a look to see if it all works when out. If it does, then it may just be dirty and needs cleaning and lubricating.

To remove the barrel on the VT, remove the plastic surround from the column, turn the key to accessory and insert a pin in the hole on the side of the barrel and pull the key and barrel out. Make sure the tabs all move freely and the inside of the mechanism on the column is clean and free of dust and dirt. To refit the barrel, just push it in until it clicks into place. Make sure the key is still in the accessory position so it lines up with the tab on the switch.