Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT Calais Stock 6x9 Speakers

_Hyperion

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais
I have a VT Calais that already has stock 6x9 speakers installed on the rear parcel shelf. They aren't working though. How do I go about getting these speakers to work? All door speakers are working.

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
That's because commodores don't have stock 6x9s! They have cutouts for 6x9s and then Holden in their wisdom changed their mind and whacked 8" subscribe in funny looking brackets to fit over the top.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
You can get factory speakers in the 6*9 holes, as above I don't believe they are 6*9 though.

You'll need to check the wiring back to the HU OP, do you have a factory or aftermarket HU?

_Hyperion

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais
They look like factory speakers. There's no branding or anything on them.

I have aftermarket JVC HU.

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
Are you SURE they are 6x9s? Holden simply NEVER made a Commodore with 6x9s in the hole but it's a very common aftermarket fit. If they are indeed co-axials 6x9s or something similar, then I would strongly suggest NOT connecting the rear doors but running new speaker wires to the 6x9s and using them instead.... not both as thats a lot of load on the headunit.

If they are infact the 8" subs made by Holden and used in Calais, Statesman and anything above, then no extra wiring is required as they have their own amplifier which is powered directly from the rear door speakers (hook up the rear speakers behind the headunit and both rear doors and subs should activate.) If they are not working, further investigation is required. Is the fuse for the amplifier blown? Is the amp connected/disconnected? Is the amp smoked?

_Hyperion

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais
Are you SURE they are 6x9s? Holden simply NEVER made a Commodore with 6x9s in the hole but it's a very common aftermarket fit. If they are indeed co-axials 6x9s or something similar, then I would strongly suggest NOT connecting the rear doors but running new speaker wires to the 6x9s and using them instead.... not both as thats a lot of load on the headunit.

If they are infact the 8" subs made by Holden and used in Calais, Statesman and anything above, then no extra wiring is required as they have their own amplifier which is powered directly from the rear door speakers (hook up the rear speakers behind the headunit and both rear doors and subs should activate.) If they are not working, further investigation is required. Is the fuse for the amplifier blown? Is the amp connected/disconnected? Is the amp smoked?

Thanks for the info
I'll have another look at them because by the sounds of it they're most likely the 8" subs.
I'll check my fuses, wiring and if the amp is connected/disconnected and see how I go.

1_johnboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
11` VE Omega
If they are the factory subs I can see why someone would disconnect them. They vibrated like crazy and didnt sound all that good

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
They had a job to do and for the most part, they did it well. What did tend to happen though was that the sun coming through the rear grilles would age the foam surround slowly destroying the subs.