Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vt calais tacho problem

LsCali

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
I got a vt calais with a vz ls1. I just bought the car and on my first drive i realised that the tacho is showing a fraction of the actual rpm, at idle the needle is at 200 rpm. when i floor it its showing 2500 rpm before changing gears. Engine is running perfectly, everything else on the cluster works fine, no codes detected.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
What engine should be in it? Is it a v6 cluster? (Not sure whether they're different to v8's for the vt's)

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
May be a miss match between the PCM, cluster and engine?
I dunno!!
In other words a "Cluster F###".

LsCali

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
The car was originally a v8 so its not an engine mismatch. from what i know everything is as it should be, only the engine has been changed. Maybe somebody has an example of a tacho input signal for different rpm, (frequency, voltage vs time) so i could eliminate the cluster or pcm. Also what inputs does the pcm use to calculate rpm?

s_ikari2015

Fun IS easier with an 8
Reaction score
Members Ride
'02 Monaro V2 CV8, '90 Toyota Sera
guess what? you can twist the needle manually to adjust it. Yep, if it's consistently out for the full range then it has probably been taken off before (with a fork slid underneath and pull) and then put back on a little bit out.

Easy fix, kinda, if you don't mind taking the cluster out. It's pretty easy, just a little time consuming.

LsCali

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
Changing the tacho resolution in the pcm solved the problem with the rpm. Couldnt explain why until yesterday when I removed the cluster and turns out it was swapped.