Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT Car Audio - Help Needed Urgently

crickz

Reaction score
Hi Everyone

Having a massive issue with my VT commo sounds system
Ill start with what i have installed
Pioneer DEH6900 Headunit
2 * Alpine Type S Subs
1 * Alpine PDX 1.600 Amp (monoblock)
4 * Cadence Door Speakers (xs652)
1 * 4ch Cadence Xenith Amp (xa 175.4)

The recent addition to the system were the door speakers (xs652) and cadence amp.
Everything else appears to be in working order - Subs / Alpine Amp / Pioneer Head Unit

Purchases a an 8gu wiring kit for the Cadence Amp. Also purchased Stinger RCAs.
I am 100% sure on my wiring, and have had a few ppl cluey with it, look at it and given it the all clear! (grounding is all spot on)

The ISSUE:
No sound coming through the door speakers. Initially I had sound, for all of 45 mins
What i have tried:
- checked fuses in the amp, and fuses on the head unit, and power cable (near battery terminal), and all ok
-Checked door speakers, using a AA Battery and lining up the positive and negative sings on the battery, and got speaking popping - which indicates to me, speakers and cabling are ok.
-Took the head unit to an audio shop and got them to chuck it on the bench. They gave me the all clear, and told me all the outputs appear to be working.
-checked the RCA Cables and they are too, working
-this is the 2nd amp i have got from JB (the first being a ORION Cobalt 6004) ... so i highly doubt its the amp
-i also checked the remote cable thinking that the remote cable may not be capable of sending enough signal to both amps, so i detached the sub amp, and it still didnt work
- I took my car to JB quickly, and the bloke tested all my power cables and ground using a voltimeter, and that also was in working order --> his words "mate, a car audio is a very very simple thing! u must be missing something"

Anyways, i really need some ideas ... as i've been driving for a 2 weeks without any sounds except BASS!, and the earliest appt i can get with JB is Jan 12.

Thanks in advance guys!

wrx884

WA's ASR Rep
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Exec/ VT L67 Spac, 5L VP Calais, 77 TC Gemini
have u tried hookin up the speakers directly off the head unit? this should point ur problem more so 2 the amps then if ur speakers work.

Do u have a spare 4 channel amp u can use 4 tests from mates??

crickz

Reaction score
have u tried hookin up the speakers directly off the head unit? this should point ur problem more so 2 the amps then if ur speakers work.

Do u have a spare 4 channel amp u can use 4 tests from mates??

Thanks for the response ... i hooked up the speakers directly to the head unit and it worked.
But something weird happened today, turned the car on, and got sound through the speakers, but
it was intermittent- it cycled from Left to Right and was slightly distorted

- any ideas?

wrx884

WA's ASR Rep
Reaction score
Members Ride
im puttin my fingers on the amp.

tho just outer curiosity r u getting any sound from ur subs?? i think u should b able 2 hook up ur mono block 2 ur speakers and use it as a 2 channel amp but set the gains down low 4 tests. then test the other 2 channels. if it works take the 4ch amp back.

Do u have any inline fuses on the 8G cable?? check those and make sure theres continuity with a multimeter. i know ive had a few dodgy fuses b4 that did give the amps an intermittent fault even wen they did seem ok.

crickz

Reaction score
thanks for the response. yes i am getting sound from the subs.
yes i have an inline fuse (wired close to the battery) ......... i will check the fuse, might be worth buying a new one.
From memory its a 30amp fuse, that came with a cadence 8g wiring kit - could that be an issue

wrx884

WA's ASR Rep
Reaction score
Members Ride
thanks for the response. yes i am getting sound from the subs.
yes i have an inline fuse (wired close to the battery) ......... i will check the fuse, might be worth buying a new one.
From memory its a 30amp fuse, that came with a cadence 8g wiring kit - could that be an issue

i usually put in 60amp fuses but if there was a problem that fuse would have blown but still check incase it has dodgy connections in the fuse that u cant see.

did u try hookin up ur mono block 2 the speakers?