Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT Carby conversion

OldSchoolYoungster

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT commodore
Long story short: bought a vt cheap, did the head gasket, discovered gudgeon pin knock.

Since I had a spare 305 chev laying around, I decided to do away with the V6 and chuck in the chev. I'll be sitting a T5 behind it, but we'll get to that later.

Rather than buggering around with finding a firebird computer to suit the tpi engine (or other avenues regarding EFI), I've stripped the engine down and decided to keep it old school. HEI dizzy, 650 holley vacuum secondary, etc. etc.

My quarrel is this...
I don't need the computer to run the engine, but I need it for other vehicle accessories.
As such, would you weed through the wiring looms and remove unnecessary wires?
Would you sit the donk in, disregard the computer and hope it all works as is?
Or would you disconnect the computer and hard wire in the rest of the system?

I'm short on money, I'm not short on patience and resources. Therefore, I'm not interested in hearing your opinions on the (subjective) futility of the project. I'm posting this hoping someone might have some valued input regarding the VT system, and what they would do given the circumstances.

I appreciate any advice given, thanks in advance.

OldSchoolYoungster

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT commodore
Oh, and for all intents and purposes, let's assume this thing will be engineered and registered legally.

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Oh, and for all intents and purposes, let's assume this thing will be engineered and registered legally.

I would offer advice/help/suggestion. But I just cannot get over the fact that unless you move to NZ, I do not see how it would get registered and legal. Sorry

Maybe switch the carb for a HolleyEFI TBI unit? or will that blow the budget? Cause you may be able to get it legal that way

OldSchoolYoungster

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT commodore
It's already registered. I plan on driving it until it gets defected, then i'll throw the donk in something else a little more fitting. the legalities aren't my question.

pebbs

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE series 2
And the consequences of insurance should an accident happen? Hope you do indeed have plenty of money, you may need it.

Commo Baba

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II Acclaim Wagon.
And the consequences of insurance should an accident happen? Hope you do indeed have plenty of money, you may need it.
plus that cos it's not about needing to pay for someone's Porche it's about having to pay for someone's death or paraplegia. Insurance won't cover you for anything when they find that 'mod'. Even if you've got some 'papers' for rego they are for the car the way it *was*.

OP's comment about 'let's presume it's all legal' and then telling us it's in no way going to be legal pretty much puts the cap on anyone on a responsible public forum from 'assisting to conspire'. If you go ahead with it you need to get the legals done too. Can you ask an 'authorised engineer' before you start ?

I'm sure the OP will hate me for my post. Sorry mate. That's the way it looks from here.

(BTW it's a bit more than a 'VT Carby Conversion' don't you think ?)

Skydrol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Pontiac G8 GT
My take... if you just want it to run with off the shelves parts, then, the Holley Carb is what I will do. The wires, do not cut a darn thing, cap and tuck them somehow; you might need to go back or need the wiring for some, you never know. I say, gauges will be the biggest challenge and the ignition/lock system. You might need to disconned the Check Engine light, the ECM will be throwing codes; but, if you do not care looking at the CEL on, leave it.

Forgot about the transmission. If I am not mistaken, the PCM/ECM reads the load via engine sensors (Throttle Position, Intake Manifold Vacuum) to determine on what gear needs to be on. On the old days, a TH400 used a Vacuum Modulator and that was all.

That will be power and economy efficient, nope, that will run, yes, like 70s 305 Cu In motor.

I think the easiest/cheapest aproach is to keep it 100% stock.

This reminds me the show Scrapheap Challenge.

Last edited:

OldSchoolYoungster

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT commodore
Yeah, point taken. I think it's bullshit that because an engine/vehicle combination - regardless of safety - does not meet emissions requirements, it is illegal and will never be allowed on the road. Some country we live in...
Having said that, I understand your consternation and will not go ahead with the project.

Cheers.

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
Feel sorry for you Ozzie boys with all the stupid modification laws over there, could be done here in NZ legally provided it was done properly

Skydrol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Pontiac G8 GT
On your project to make it work with the least amount of cash. IMHO, I see a money pit taking that aproach. I would be visiting some junk yards and see what kind of parts I can get for cheap. If the vehicle is fine, drive it until the wheels falls off.

If you can score a manual tranny that can be fitted on the 305, I see the change doable. Not a clue about you guys emission laws, that will be some that might bite you later using that Carb.

Here is another movie analogy... Apollo 13, "Fit a round filter in a squared hole, using nothing but this"