Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT Cargo Barrier Installation Query

blah

Reaction score
Members Ride
97 VT Acclaim
Looking at buying a 2nd hand cargo barrier for my '97 VT Acclaim wagon. The barrier I've seen appears to be holden genuine with roof mounting brackets on the corners. However, my VT only seems to have roof mounts a couple of inches in, closer to the centre of the roof.

Holden reckon there is only one type of barrier for the VT. Can anyone provide some info on how to install these barriers. I thought it would be relatively simple.

Are there extra holes behind the plastic trim in the corners of the roof ?

:confused:

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
There is only one on each side just above the rear side windows.

Attachments

• 000_0167.jpg
    000_0167.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 2,374

blah

Reaction score
Members Ride
97 VT Acclaim
accentstencil said:
There is only one on each side just above the rear side windows.

Thanks for the reply. My VT does not have the anchor points in that position they are closer to the centre of the roof (hence my dramas), refer attached.

The car was manf. 9/97, as far as I am aware there was nothing special about it (original owner Public Works in Blacktown). Looking at other VT's and your photo my anchor points seem to be in an odd position. None of the cargo barriers for a VT I have seen would be able to accomodate my anchor point positions.

Has anyone seen this in a VT before ? Do I need to get a specially modified or custom barrier, or is there a special kit to adapt the standard barrier ?

VT Anchor Points 001 (Small).jpg VT Anchor Points 003 (Small).jpg

Trevor 062

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE S2 SSV REDLINE & 07 VZ ACCLAIM WAGON
That's strange..my VT made in 1997 & the attachment points are as the previous post.Good luck..

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
I'm pretty sure those plastic things in the head lining are there to hold up the head lining. I you look at the first picture I've attached today, it is the same as the one from yesterday with the plastic thing removed, it just clips in. You may have to have a bit of a feel to see if you can find where it is and then cut the lining and put the plastic clips in. If you look at the picture it should be just above where the 2 plastic moulds meet. Then the part in my second picture just goes in there with a half turn to secure it.
With that clip removed you sure can see what colour my head lining should be. Time to give it a clean I guess.

Attachments

• 000_0174.jpg
    000_0174.jpg
    448.1 KB · Views: 2,026
  • 000_0170.jpg
    000_0170.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 1,368
Last edited:

maxbow

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Wagon
cargo barriers.

In my VT I had no anchor points. I bought the kit from Holden and installed myself after talking to the fitter at the dealership. There are two spots in the lining as there are two positions for the cargo barriers.
One is for when the rear seats are folded down and the barrier is installed behind the front seats with the use of two flat braces which affix to the bottom of the barrier and run along the floor to the lower fixtures. Most big companies or sales reps use this as they do not require the use of the rear seat.
The other point is above the rear doors and requires the barrier to be pushed into the mounting positions in the floor of the rear cargo area just behind the rear seats. You need to do some trim cutting to install all the points. I have only cut and installed the rear position. Instructions are in the fitting kit and I would suggest talking to someone who fits them and looking at the installed product. Both require a moderate amount of skill with a sharp Stanley knife. The upper spots can be felt as holes in the lining which you push a hole through and then cut using the socket itself as a template. The floor mount required a bit more work but it is not unattainable for the average person, ME.
Trust me if I can do it anyone can.Cheers Max. Sorry I didn't take any pics when I did this.:bang:

blah

Reaction score
Members Ride
97 VT Acclaim
Thanks for the replies.

Spoke to a different Holden dude yesterday. Of course he was pushing the "we will install it for you" line (at ~$120 no thanks), but reading between the lines, he confirmed what accentstencil and maxbow have posted. He also reckons if the barrier attachments as accentstencil posted are missing, you can't get them separately.

Now to call back the guy who was selling one for $50 bucks and see if he still has it ! :p

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
blah said:
Thanks for the replies.

Spoke to a different Holden dude yesterday. Of course he was pushing the "we will install it for you" line (at ~$120 no thanks), but reading between the lines, he confirmed what accentstencil and maxbow have posted. He also reckons if the barrier attachments as accentstencil posted are missing, you can't get them separately.

Now to call back the guy who was selling one for $50 bucks and see if he still has it ! :p
One of my plastic clip things is missing so I went to Holden today just to see if you can buy them seperately, you can, at $8.70 each they are very expensive for what they are but I ordered one anyway. The guy you've been dealing with sounds like he doesn't want to be helpful.