Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT Chassis Rusted

Secki

Reaction score
Website
www.australianlawenforcement.com.au
Members Ride
VH Wagon SLX 253
Ok my mate and i were doing an oil change on his VT stocker, and discovered this....

can it be fixed or is it a right off? The rust is all the way through the chassis

Attachments

• 07062009(003).jpg
    07062009(003).jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 1,290

davway

Reaction score
Members Ride
WK LS1 Statesman
thats pretty bad!.

you can fix it but it will need to be engineered.
if you dont fix it though, it wont ever pass another RWC.

Dont know how youd go with insurance either - i dont think they would fix it.
infact they would most likely void the policy instantly.

Secki

Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
VH Wagon SLX 253
i just foudn out today that he has been looking at trading it in ! and the dealer only started it make sure it runs and looked under bonnet! So if he gets a trade in it will be the dealers problem to make sure it is deamed roadworthy for the next potential owner.............bit cunning if you asked me!, but then again i just traded my VYSS in and the dealer did the same, started it, make sure the air con worked, and looked under the bonnet, that was it!

Torquative

Sports Economy
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 3.6L SIDI 6sp
yeh that'd be the way to go, get what he can for it.

Sometimes its the basic checks they dont do that lets them down. I had a VX Executive with a genuine SS bodykit, FE2 and most of the SS interior (ie dash cluster, dash surround etc). To the untrained eye it looked like an SS.

They valued it based on being a VX SS not a VX Exec so naturally they over valued it, which was fine, thats what I needed to be able to buy the VZ. Signed the paperwork, deal was done. They went out to start it to move it from the carpark and, oh, wait for a LS1 it screams like an Ecotec.

Popped the bonnet and ... oh tis missing 2 cylinders :whistling

But im curious whats caused your mates car to rust like that????

davway

Reaction score
Members Ride
WK LS1 Statesman
id get a hand full of mud and cover it so if they do look under it when it gets traded, it just looks muddy.
would be interesting to where else is rusted (it will be rusted elsewhere too).

M01ST

Reaction score
Members Ride
15 VF SSV Redline, 02 VU SS Ute
has it been on a boat ramp but then again it goes up the whole chassis hmm dunno how it would be like that

Secki

Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
VH Wagon SLX 253
Never been a coastal vehicle, about a year or more ago had a problem with air con smelling and heater cores being flushedd a few times. Maybe there is a leak and inside the firewall is rusted out also.........anyway it is confirmed he has traded it in they didnt even look at it so they wont even know the back door doesnt open from the outside lol.......stupid dealers they deserve some lemons back sometimes !

M01ST

Reaction score
Members Ride
15 VF SSV Redline, 02 VU SS Ute
haha nice mate i sold my vn to a dealer and you couldnt get it into 4th or 5th haha test drove down to the garage and that was it haha dealers do deserve the lemons back

gareth89

Reaction score
Members Ride
A VR V6 bout to sell Yamaha Scorpio
i bought a vr a few years ago from a dealer and the dealer knew the guy that owned likes mates or somthink and we asked if it has ever been in a smash and we were told no but about 1 and a half ago my mum reverse into a stobie pole and when we were getting it fixed the smash repair let us know that the rear end had been smased in not to bad.
also a week after i bought it the gear shifter wouldnt move, windows got stuck, middle seat belt broke the first time we used it, service history nope it was done at the wrong kays and dates and ha painted the rear bumper with silver spray paint over a green one.
we even looked over the car nd we got ripped off.