Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT Climate Control (Vacuum??) Problem?

Zeussy

SSM11K
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen-F Clubsport, Rodeo 2.8 TD 4x4
Hey Everyone,

Just wondering if anyone has had a problem similar too, or the same as this..

My neighbour has a VT Berlina, with Climate Control, and under heavy acceleration/up hills etc.. The fan will change from being directed at your face/feet to up on the windscreen, and will stay that way, until you back off, or the hill ends, so its not under as much load..

So, to me, Im thinking that it has to do with a vacuum line, being half crimped/bent, or the control/switch thing - where all the vacuum lines meet?

Being my neighbours car, It's not really practical to just pull out the entire dash looking for a crimped vacuum line? or something that looks amiss under there..

The climate control did have the problem with the variable resistor thing, where the power transistor burns out.. That there is a thread on in the 'HOW TO' section, and I have since fixed that side of it, but this problem has always been there as well..

Does any one have any ideas what this could be, or where I should start looking??!!!

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
There is a thin vacuum hose which connects at the rear of the intake manifold. Check to see if it is on properly and also check the one way valve which is on that hose.

Zeussy

SSM11K
Reaction score
Members Ride
Ahh ok.. Yeah i'll check that out tomorrow, then report back!!!

I suppose its a possibility that it could've got bumped or damaged from some one working on the car previously, just not seated/sealed properly, perished, or a sticky one way/check valve, etc.. (I haven't done much work under the bonnet really, yet.. touch wood!)

To check the valve, do I just blow/suck in the hose, and it shouldn't let any air - blow, into it? yeah? lol

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
To check the valve, do I just blow/suck in the hose, and it shouldn't let any air - blow, into it? yeah? lol
Correct, you should be able to blow through one end of the valve but not the other.

snoopin99

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calias S/C Series 1
VT Climate doing the same thing

Hi guys, my climate system is doing the exact same thing, i checked the supply line & one way valve, all workin fine! I guess it will be a leaky vacuum actuator inside the divertor box. (Be buggered if i am pulling the whole unit out!):bang:

Zeussy

SSM11K
Reaction score
Members Ride
Yeah, I checked the vacuum line, no kinks etc, sealed on the manifold nicely and not crimped around where it goes through the fire wall, and the one way valve, works in one direction only, and isn't stuck closed..

Is the 'divertor box' the big thing thats at the base of the fire wall/transmission hump?? If so, that'd be a prick to get to, to fix.. AARRRGGGHHHHH!!!!!

Just getting at the variable speed control unit required the passenger side of the dash to be pulled out..

Any more idea's anyone?? I might try ring Holden and speak to one of the Mechanics over there, see if they've had this problem too??

snoopin99

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calias S/C Series 1
Yes, it contains the flaps that move to divert the air flow (face/feet/demist) They all run from the vacuum supplied from that hose. If one of the actuators has a small leak, it will spring back to resting position when no vacuum supply is present (wide open throttle). I too have done the fan speed controller, that is nothing compared to removing this beast! It's a problem that can stay a problem if that is what it's going to take to fix!

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yeah, I checked the vacuum line, no kinks etc, sealed on the manifold nicely and not crimped around where it goes through the fire wall, and the one way valve, works in one direction only, and isn't stuck closed..

Is the 'divertor box' the big thing thats at the base of the fire wall/transmission hump?? If so, that'd be a prick to get to, to fix.. AARRRGGGHHHHH!!!!!

Just getting at the variable speed control unit required the passenger side of the dash to be pulled out.

Any more idea's anyone?? I might try ring Holden and speak to one of the Mechanics over there, see if they've had this problem too??
It could be the Vacuum Solenoid Pack, I've seen a few people on here that have had to replace it.

Attachments

• ventilation system.jpg
    ventilation system.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 15,347

Zeussy

SSM11K
Reaction score
Members Ride
It could be the Vacuum Solenoid Pack, I've seen a few people on here that have had to replace it.

Ahh kk,

Is there a way to test if its that? like can you power up each control can check it that way??

And you wouldn't happen to know where its located would you??!! Behind the centre console dash fascia bit, near the climate control screen?

I'm guessing that'd be a pricey unit if it is that?

EDIT: Thanks again for your help!!

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ahh kk,

Is there a way to test if its that? like can you power up each control can check it that way??

And you wouldn't happen to know where its located would you??!! Behind the centre console dash fascia bit, near the climate control screen?

I'm guessing that'd be a pricey unit if it is that?

EDIT: Thanks again for your help!!
I don't know of a way to test it but you could check all the hoses connected to it. No idea on price, although in one post I read, they paid $130 for one for a VS.

Attachments

• Vacuum Solenoid.jpg
    Vacuum Solenoid.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 13,824