Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT CLUBSPORT 5.0...Huge Electrics Problems... Please Help!?

RedDragon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Clubsport 5.0
Hey guys, i drive a 1998 5l vt clubsport tenth anniversary...
I took my car in to get the "crank angle sensor" replaced! they replaced it but it was misfiring when i got it back...
The friring order was correct as confirmed by 2 mechanics and myself, that parts easy...

Anyway it's been stuck in another workshop for 2 weeks with a "computer problem"
they said the problem lies in the actual computer itself, and they where waiting for parts etc. (not going to cost much labour apparently). yay!

A huge clue is that "the paint on my engine cover" looks slightly melted and bubbly i'm guessing before i owned the car some time,
the engine has caught fire!

Does anyone know what parts my car might be needing if there was an electrical fire under the hood?
Like wiring or maybe a new computer if that's possible?

Please help, because the mechanic can't figure it out, and i really want it fixed whatever thos cost, i just want my car back =/

Boonz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
green 355 VG ute
Did they fit a dizzy to suit sequential injection computer or a standard type?

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

RedDragon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Clubsport 5.0
Not sure what they put in, i know the old one is a bosch, i wouldn't be suprised if they put the wrong one in,
they took the inlet manifold off to replace the dizzy and got coolant in my oil, bloody useless!
i'll check it out

thanks mate

ucwepn

America just kicked in yo
Reaction score
Website
www.darkcold.com
Members Ride
WH statesman 5.7
If they can't fix the problem even after replacing things take it to a workshop who specialize in commodores or performance cars, it sucks when mechanics stuff you around i copped it from a chain franchise mechanic about 10 years back (U****tune) when I wasn't as clued up as I am now, car was still misfiring after replacing heaps of stuff and they had my car for about a month, took it to Bresciani they found the problem in less than an hour (old mechanic didn't change the middle 2 spark plugs when they did a service on my vl na 6). Now i go to selectmaz for my last 2 cars and I know that sounds weird but since then their whole family has bought commodores haha.

Boonz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
green 355 VG ute
Not sure what they put in, i know the old one is a bosch, i wouldn't be suprised if they put the wrong one in,
they took the inlet manifold off to replace the dizzy and got coolant in my oil, bloody useless!
i'll check it out

thanks mate

Check the invoice and make sure its the right one.
Also dont take your car back there... you dont have to remove the manifold to replace distributors on 5 litres ....

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
Agree with the other posts re not needing to remove the inlet manifold to replace the distributor - although it is a bugger of a job due to lack of clearance. Your first post is not very helpful because it doesn't describe either the symptoms you were having to make you believe the "crank angle sensor" needed replacing (VT V8s don't actually have one, it's a Hall Effect Sensor), or the symptoms you are now having with your car. Was/is it a problem with non-starting or something else? The more information you can give the more help we can give you.

The comment by Boonz is very relevant, if they didn't realise the difference between a VN/VS distributor (non-sequential injection) and a VT (sequential injection) that could be part of your problem - depending on what the problem was before and is now.

RedDragon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Clubsport 5.0
Oh ok, well it started when... I started my car, took off (i didn't plant my foot by the way) and about 10 meters out of the drive way it just cut out completely and i heard
what sounded like a very quite backfire sound or a deep pop sound. It wouldn't start again, i got it towed home, got an RAC mechanic to have a quick look at it in my driveway
and he said that there was (no electric pulse in one of the injectors) asuming it was the (crank angle sensor) i took it to a big name auto electrician
they called me back and said that it is the crank angle sensor (which i apperantly don't even have in my car) they called me again and said i needed a new dizzy as well
they took 4 days to replace the dizzy, the "apparent" crank angle sensor, some gaskits etc. $1000 dollors later. Halfway home it started misifiring...

Days later i took it to a "mechanic" they couldn't believe the **** job the other guys did. Quick reply to Boonz, they asked me for the invoice it was in the glove box
i haven't seen it for 2 weeks and i don't actually remember what it says, and yep, won't be going back there again.
This mechanic said his computer shows only one error and it's to do with the "crank angle senor"
He also said one of the injectors has a pause in it's pulse like (pulse, pulse, Pause, pulse, pulse, Pause) But he says the injectors are fine...?

Latest update is it's coming from the computer itself, so he's ordered a new one in is he right? Can you just slap another computer in a car like that?

Beav

Reaction score
Members Ride
93 vr commodore
Add Content

st3r3otyp3

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX HSV VX SS
you can slap another puter in it plug in and plug out and he will I gather use your old memcal, I say he would buy it second hand as new ones from holden are about $1000 but could be any price second hand, check ebay possibly for a good deal if his is too expensive.

The crank angle sensor is the word sometimes mentioned for the hall effect sensor thats inside the dizzy, so technically they do have a CAS.

EDIT.... Here you go bud, just use your memcal, I know the mechanics sorting it out but ask him how much hes gonna charge you for computer.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/VN-VP-VR-VS-VT-V8-ECU-Computer-304-Great-Conversion-Auto-Calais-Statesman-VQ-/120926087927?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1c27c1aaf7
crank angle sensor out of a VL 6 pot
l_holden%20crankshaft%20crank%20angle%20sensor%20cas-015.jpg

RedDragon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Clubsport 5.0
oh cool thanks for that, i'm just worried he might accidentlly get the wrong computer, do 10th anniversary hsv's have the same computers than all the others?