Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT Commodore coolant leak

Fragmaggot

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR
Hello Gentlemen,

My GF's 1999 VT was overheating a lot, so i bled the coolant system and replaced the coolant etc. Hasnt overheated since, but when we park, go away for a while and come back after weve been driving, coolant is dripping from under both front seats. its 2 individual drips, one under the drivers, and one under the passengers (outside of course :p)

Any idea what it might be?

Kind Regards,

Frag

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
Are you sure it is coolant and not plain water from the air conditioning drain pipe?

JSTCOZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VT S-Pack II
Open the bonnet and look on the drivers side and you will see some metal of the car's body that is probably acting as a tray for the previous coolant to rest in, at the end of that is ahole, that is probably just excess coolant dripping through that hole (the metal might be the chassy of the car I'm not overly sure). If you have a look in the engine bay you'll see it storing the coolant.

Fragmaggot

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR
Accent thats what i thought first up mate, but the second time it happened it was green. You guys think it could just be overflow? because it took about a liter of water into the radiator after that second leak.

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
Coolant leaking from the area that you described could be a leaking heater core. Is it dripping from above the front of the transmission?

Fragmaggot

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR
sorry accent i dont actually know where the transmission is located... i presume just in front of where the gearshift is... if the tap was turned to cold it wouldnt leak right? because last time it leaked we turned the dial to the middle of the white as it was a bit cold...

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
sorry accent i dont actually know where the transmission is located... i presume just in front of where the gearshift is... if the tap was turned to cold it wouldnt leak right? because last time it leaked we turned the dial to the middle of the white as it was a bit cold...

If the drip is coming from an area about in line with the front of the front doors but towards the middle of the car then it is probably coming from the aircon drain hose and a leaking heater core is the only way coolant can get there. If the heater tap is closed it still might leak because I don't think those taps are completely water tight.

Fragmaggot

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR
hmm okay :) thanks for your advice accent. oh, and nice ride btw :p