Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT Commodore Engine Rebuild

btgoodgame343

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S2
So I basically got a new battery this morning, fixing that problem, and actually got the engine to run on 3 cylinders. I then found out that almost all the oil was on the floor. I'm not really bothered with finding out exactly what it is that's wrong and I'm going to do a complete engine rebuild. I already have a top end rebuild kit, and a water pump gasket. Apart from new pistons and rings, what else will I need? It's a late 98' V6 Ecotec Series 2 with an engine number above 800k. Also, if you have any tips or warnings about rebuilding these kinds of engines, please tell me because it will be my first engine rebuild. I already have a repair manual for the car, so that should help. Thanks in advance guys :D

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
I'm not really bothered with finding out exactly what it is that's wrong and I'm going to do a complete engine rebuild.

Step 1: Diagnose what is wrong with it.

Waste of time going any further until this is done, it may be totally ####ed and not worth it.

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
without tearing it down impossible to guess
your best bet would be to buy an engine from a low mileage wreck
even a low mileage engine may not have been maintained so check it out

btgoodgame343

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S2
I already have an entire top end rebuild kit, so it's pretty much at the stage where I can't back out. It's pretty limited as to how a block can break, but I'll try and see where the oil came from just in case.

billythakid

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx II Executive
All the Oil over floor comes from a few things ,
1. Sump plug is missing
2. Oil pan is leaking like a sieve or copped a rock and holed
3. It's kicked a rod out ( giving it fired and didn't sound like a skeleton having a wank in a tin can ) I doubt this
4. The crank seals are completely buggered
5. Timing chain has chewed through front cover

Find the problem and it may be cheaper doing a complete engine swap

Turtl3

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais V8 International
apart from the top end rebuild kit, you would need a bottom end rebuild kit with things like all new bolts to replace the factory tty bolts, you will need all the bearings (mains, cam, big end & little end... if it runs bearings there? I havent pulled on apart myself) all the seals and gaskets... core plugs(aka welch and freeze plugs) if u want to go that far.

and then theres machining to consider if it needs any, bores might need to be oversized which means u would need oversized pistons and rings to suit (whether it be .010", .020", .040" o/s) crank might need machining or replacing...same with the cam. could need new pushrods/lifters, could even need conrods?

without stripping it or having a really good look at it...there is no way to know how much of a dent it is going make in ur back pocket.

given how many of these engines are lying around in wreckers yards...i wouldnt waste any more money on parts to rebuild ur current engine until u know whats wrong with it. it may be a whole lot cheaper and easier to buy a s/hand motor

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
It's running on 3 cylinders and dumping oil, so there's no going back :bomb:

I wouldn't say what you already have purchased as being a waste.
Depending how severe the current issue is and what the cause is/damage done it may be quicker to find the issue and determine if it's worth going any further with that particular engine or just buy another, that you have seen running and throw all the stuff you have into it, probably work out cheaper than a complete overhaul on the bottom end when machining is required and if it's possible (I wouldn't purchase hundreds of $$$ worth of parts until I'd seen inside the engine and measured everything).

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
I already have an entire top end rebuild kit, so it's pretty much at the stage where I can't back out. It's pretty limited as to how a block can break, but I'll try and see where the oil came from just in case.

Give it a miss mate, it's not worth it. These things don't take well to rebuilds. If you plan on replacing the bearings you'll need to have the rods resized and the crank index ground (still not recommended). You'll also need to buy new rod bolts and pistons and then pay for boring on top of that. Realistically it will cost you over $2000 to do it all properly (providing you have the knowledge and skill to rebuild it).

Buy a second hand engine if yours is blowing smoke or knocking and replace all of the gaskets. If yours is only leaking oil, just pull it out and replace the gaskets. You can buy a whole engine and trans from a wreckers for around $300 with warranty.

btgoodgame343

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S2
So basically I trusted the person I bought it off a little too much. There wasn't an oil filter attached so of course you can guess what happened. The top end rebuild kit I have is because it has a blown head gasket on the right side, and a worn one on the left. So if you have any advice for just the top end, be sure to let me know.