Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT Commodore gear changing problems.

haydo1801

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
Ok, so I have a 99 VT manual commodore, I have recently noticed 2 problems when changing gears in it. the first one has been doing it for quite some time now.. about 70-80% of the time I change gears i can hear a "doonk" sound (best way to describe it) coming from around the middle to the rear of the car at first I thought that I was because I was a bad driver...(haven't had a licence for long) and that I was still getting used to the gears and stuff but now that it is getting worse I kept trying to change my drive style to stop the sound, but it still sounds and kinda feels like the gearbox or something is going to fall out. the second problem that is only recent (last night and today) is when I was changing from first to second gears (only from first to second, no other gear changes) there was a terrible grinding sound as if I was trying to change gears without using the clutch, it only went into gear when I came to a stop. I have had a similar problem to this before but it was on every gear change and was easily fixed by replacing the clutch slave cylinder

all this stuff is new to me so if anyone could give any advice or help it will always be appreciated :) Thnx Guys!

s_ikari2015

Fun IS easier with an 8
Reaction score
Members Ride
'02 Monaro V2 CV8, '90 Toyota Sera
I agree with check the fluid levels in the clutch reservoir in the engine bay. Top up the fluid levels with a brand new bottle of Dot4 brake fluid if needs be, and check the next day if it's dropped. If it has dropped you have a leak, likely from a failing master or slave cylinder, either that or your clutch is just on the way out through wear.

Also the clunk from the middle/rear is probably the differential. A diff oil change will probably help that and it is very likely one has never been done for your car.

haydo1801

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
Getting there :)

I agree with check the fluid levels in the clutch reservoir in the engine bay. Top up the fluid levels with a brand new bottle of Dot4 brake fluid if needs be, and check the next day if it's dropped. If it has dropped you have a leak, likely from a failing master or slave cylinder, either that or your clutch is just on the way out through wear.

Also the clunk from the middle/rear is probably the differential. A diff oil change will probably help that and it is very likely one has never been done for your car.

Fluid levels r all still full from when I changed the slave cylinder 10 000k's ago, which I'm thinking clutch is going or maybe the second gear synchro?

I did however change the diff oil like suggested, I only took the car for a quick 10 min drive and it seems to be better so far, ill go for a proper drive tomoz after school to find out for sure.

Thnx Again Guys