Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT Commodore Has a tapping noise

Jodamis

HSV911
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Aclaim
My 98 Vt, V6 has a loud tapping type of noise. I had the RACQ come over aqnd they said it was the Hydraulic lifters. I then had a mechanic call over and he said it was possible a bent push rod. Now both have been replace and the noise sounds worse. Would anyone know what it could be? It is comming from the passenger sider of the engine only and now it won't start up properly. It also makes the noise with the rocker cover off.
Thanks in advance

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Define, 'won't start up properly'.

fuzzy2308

Reaction score
Members Ride
Plastic datsun
rocker cover off? wouldnt that spurt oil when running

Jodamis

HSV911
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Aclaim
Yes it does, but in order to find out if it was the tappets hitting the rocker cover, the risk of a mess was worth it, as it made the noise even with the cover off. I only attempted to start it for a few seconds.

Jodamis

HSV911
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Aclaim
Hi acarmody.
it turns over but won't idle. It just tries to start. I am a little worried to force it to run, with the noise.

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Get an error code check done. Did the noise and the bad idle happen at the same time, or has noise been gradually getting louder?

vn_v6

Blumpkin
Reaction score
Members Ride
87 vl limited edition
injector tapping?

BLAZE01

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt olympic
Blaze

Had the same problem. Took it back to dealerto diagnose - after consulting me they started to dismantle
engine from the top down. Found that hyd.lifters ALL needed replacement - some if the valve stems had mushroomed (ie the stem had started to minutely hammer out) the camshaft had worn through the case
hardening on some of the lobes . After replacing ALL components engine rah quietly FOR A WHILE !!
Am now getting some hyd.lifter clatter on start-up again, 20k later. By the way the engine at the time had
only done 60k having previously replaced under warranty when car had done 50k.

Car was never abused - changed oil EVERY 5000k - always took it easy when cold etc etc.

The head honcho in the service dept took me aside and said that in these engines the centre camshaft
bearing sometimes spins around blocking the oil feed from the galleries and so the top end is starved for oil.
GMH would not come to the party - quite rudely said that they had already done enough !!! The exercise cost me $4000.00. No more Holdens for me !