Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT Commodore hasn't started in over a year

..Will..

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV UTE
Hi, I have a 98 VT that a bought about 2 years ago though it hasn't been started in a year due to having another car and being busy. The car is still in immaculate condition with only having done 130000kms owned by an elderly man. Now the problem is that I want to start this car and register it though I don't know if I can cause any damage to the engine. Is there any important things I need to know before starting it? any tips?

Thank you.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Check the oil and coolant levels. Then check that the oil light comes on with ignition. Start engine and make sure oil light goes out after a few seconds. If it doesn't go out then that will be a problem.

..Will..

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV UTE
Check the oil and coolant levels. Then check that the oil light comes on with ignition. Start engine and make sure oil light goes out after a few seconds. If it doesn't go out then that will be a problem.

Thank you, I know very little about mechanics and will wait a little bit and hopefully get a vast variety of opinions/information before I try start the old girl. Thanks again losh1971, I appreciate it a lot.

Utel67

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs s3 ute
If it was my car I would change the oil, put in some fresh fuel check the coolant level, then I would remove the fuel injector fuse in the engine compartment, then crank the motor until the oil light goes out reinstall fuse then start it up, while it's running check for fuel leaks coolant leaks etc etc.

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
Definitely put fresh fuel in, fuel a year old would be no good. Try and siphon out as much of the old petrol as possible.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Before I attempted to start it, I'd be putting a little oil down the plug holes and winding the motor by hand.....Then crank it with the plugs out and fuel pump fuse removed, until you got some oil pressure....Once oil pressure is achieved, then put the plugs back in and fuel pump fuse and attempt to fire it.

The reason I go down this path is, you save the potential problem of cracking rings, which I have seen in the past by people starting it straight up after it sitting for a length of time

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
drain fuel , the battery will probably be had it , check all fluids , after starting , give it a full service , plugs , oil , and change the coolant too , might be best if you're unsure of what to do , take it to a good mechanic .

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Use 98 octane fuel to help with what's left in it, remove your fuel filter or hose in the engine bay and turn the key to pump much as you can out first. Then like was said above a spoon full of oil down each plug hole and crank it over with out the plugs for a second or 2.

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
If it's a V6 I wouldn't be to worried about it, I've started engines that have been sitting for decades, a year isn't much.

My old VS when I bought it had been sitting for 6 years after a fuel pump failure. Replaced the pump, put fresh fuel in and started it. V6's have roller cams meaning that they are less likely to be damaged from cranking after sitting for long periods of time than the old flat tappet engines of the past.

Being a roller cam you could always just pull the fuel relay and crank it for 10-15 seconds to get oil moving around the engine before starting it if you were being really picky.

I'd start it and run it for a bit to get it warm then dump the oil for good measure.