Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT commodore loose of power

Taylorlamont109

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline
Hi all. Recently my vt has lost a significant amount of power, you put your foot to the floor and it just revs our and dosnt go anywhere you can almost feel the car pulling back on you. I have recently changed plugs, leads (from a donor car), fuel filter. Also recently changed power steering pump but wouldn’t think that would cause this. Planning on changing thermostat as the temp gauge is a bit up and down. Among other things, sometimes when you go to turn the car on it won’t start straight away. Then when it turns on it starts running pretty bad. I mean sounding like a cammed burnout car untill you turn it off, let sit for 5-10 mins then will start and run fine again. Does anyone know what these issues could be ? Got me completely mind boggled. Any help would be greatly appreciated

ant797

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy s
Could be dirty maf bad leads bad spark plugs bad coils vacuum leak ...I would start by listening for vacuum leaks hissing noise ..clean the maf with contact cleaner ..if there all good it might be cheaper in the long run to take it to a mechanic because your going to have start buy ING gear like 1st spark plugs being the cheapest then leads then coils

ant797

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy s
Check if all your leads are popped on the spark plugs properly also I been caught out with a loose lead once check also if you got the rite firing order if you replaced leads

Taylorlamont109

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline
Could be dirty maf bad leads bad spark plugs bad coils vacuum leak ...I would start by listening for vacuum leaks hissing noise ..clean the maf with contact cleaner ..if there all good it might be cheaper in the long run to take it to a mechanic because your going to have start buy ING gear like 1st spark plugs being the cheapest then leads then coils

I put brand new plugs on about 2 weeks ago. Second hand leads about a week later. Could be faulty or dirty maf. Also what would be the correct firing order for the leads on the vts ?

Taylorlamont109

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline
I’ve never changed the maf since I’ve owned the car now which would be Atleast 2 years. Could that have something to do with the car going into that weird “cammed” mode ? Hard to explain what the actual car is doing when that happens. Have tried wiggling around the little coil plug down on the bottom of the lead but no help

ant797

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy s
I’ve never changed the maf since I’ve owned the car now which would be Atleast 2 years. Could that have something to do with the car going into that weird “cammed” mode ? Hard to explain what the actual car is doing when that happens. Have tried wiggling around the little coil plug down on the bottom of the lead but no help
Borrow a maf and find out if you know someone with same car not hard to swap over quick enough to find out sorry don't know what you mean by cammed mode

Taylorlamont109

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline
Borrow a maf and find out if you know someone with same car not hard to swap over quick enough to find out sorry don't know what you mean by cammed mode

I know someone who has a vz? Would that be the same mafs ? And sorry by cammed mode I just meant every now and then it starts spazzing out and just sounds like it has a stage 3 cam in it and it drives and runs and sounds really rough

ant797

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy s
I don't think a vz one will fit try cleaning yours