Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[Ecotec] vt commodore manual conversion

tippa

burn rubber not your soul
Reaction score
Members Ride
95 vs
hey just wondering what i would need to convert an automatic vt to a manual, ive got a gearbox out of a 3.8 litre VN been told it was a supra gearbox, will it bolt onto an ecotec,will i have to change the ecu or any modifications i will have to do like tailshaft?

cheers pretty new on here so i dont know

SBM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS 5Spd
I think the bell housings are different on the buick and ecotecs. It would probably be a t5 gearbox that you have. You may as well just buy a full s/h conversion. Ive done a few and its the easiest way to go. You get everything you need like tailshaft, gearbox, crossmember, flywheel, and all your trim pieces. The vt's came with a getrag gearbox so try to make sure thats wat you get.

Claudy

French Com
Reaction score
Members Ride
Manual Gen3 VT SS + V6 VT manual turbo
Nar u can use the t5 on the ecotec that's exactly what I've done to my vt

Clutchy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz wagon
I think the bell housings are different on the buick and ecotecs. It would probably be a t5 gearbox that you have. You may as well just buy a full s/h conversion. Ive done a few and its the easiest way to go. You get everything you need like tailshaft, gearbox, crossmember, flywheel, and all your trim pieces. The vt's came with a getrag gearbox so try to make sure thats wat you get.

No they are the same bolt pattern the t5 bolts straight up to the ecotec the only thing with the t5 in the vt is ya gotta make a mount as they dont just bolt up to the cross member.

50LTRv8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT V8 Calais
hey just wondering what i would need to convert an automatic vt to a manual, ive got a gearbox out of a 3.8 litre VN been told it was a supra gearbox, will it bolt onto an ecotec,will i have to change the ecu or any modifications i will have to do like tailshaft?

cheers pretty new on here so i dont know

VT commos had getrag from the factory, not T-5

tippa

burn rubber not your soul
Reaction score
Members Ride
95 vs
ok so would someone be able to tell me where i might find all the parts i need for a manual conversion,i think i might try and use the gearbox ive got cuz that saves me a couple of hundred, wat peices would i need for the manual conversion? thanks

jkvts11

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt wagon
hey mate u need a manual computer, wiring harness, clutch, fly wheel, pedal assy' master cylinder assy,,look on ebay n ull get an idea of the parts.

jkvts11

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt wagon
does any 1 no if a vy s1 manual conversion kit will bolt up too a s11 vt. i no that the harness n ecu do but the bell houseins, do the line up???

Dr HaxZaw

Reaction score
Members Ride
R34 GT-T
vy has the same motor as vt so yes... i dont think the ecu will work though as it runs a different type to the vt