Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT commodore overheating

Discussion in 'VT - VX Holden Commodore (1997 - 2002)' started by Commy1608, Jan 11, 2019.

1. Commy1608

Commy1608 New Member

Members Ride:
    Vs statesman Vt commodore
    So my vt keeps overheating repeatedly after about half an hour of driving, had the same problem about six months ago took it into a mechanic and he just wired both radiator fans to the ignition switch. Pretty dodgy job tbh. Anyway wiring end up touching the terminal and burnt out. I've tried a few different things now, done the normal service, replaced the hoses, flushed the system ect. Even took the thermostat out hoping it'd run a bit cooler and rewired the fans to the ignition switch with a stronger amp wire.

Didn't even think about it till today though, after I flushed the system it only took about 4 1/2 litres into the radiator, just wondering if that's because there's a blockage somewhere in my radiator or? Any ideas on what it could be if not that?

2. lowandslow

lowandslow Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    V2 III Monaro
    Put your fans back to the standard wiring.
    If its the original radiator - bin it and get a $90 ebay special.
    Refit correct thermostat.
    With the thermostat out and rad hoses off, flush the block as much as possible.
    refil with green coolant. Pre mix is the easiest.
    make sure you bleed it correctly.

3. MR.HG

MR.HG Donating Member

Members Ride:
    HG Brougham, VS Ute, VR SS
    Hows your radiator cap? Have you bled the air out? Assuming you have a v6 you might have an air lock. Since your thermostat is out take the radiator cap off and run the motor from cold to see if water runs fast... if not you might need a new water pump. I once had a water pump that lost all its fins and was just a cog lol

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
    Faye likes this.