Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT Commodore Stalling & Sieging

Amy Broderick

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
Hey all , I’ve got a VT Commodore (1998) everything on it is still origininal from its built date.

I’ve been having problems with it stalling, feeling like it’s got a loss of power and it’s sieging. I’ve taken it to my local mechanic and he’s cleaned out my throttle body so far but when he did that the stalling stopped for about three days but came straight back. I could leave my car to warm up for an hour put it into reverse it’ll shake, the rev’s will do just near 0 then it’ll all of a sudden go back up to ide. Then once I put it into drive it just stalls. My car struggles every morning to move no matter what.

The loss of power, if I have my lights on I’ll flip them of high beam but the car seems to pull back a bit my stereo will turn off but reboot and all the lights on the dash will appear then go away.

Sieging will only happen when I hit 80km and it starts chugging to get to 100km if I plant the foot harder it doesn’t do anything but all of a sudden take off

Do anyone know what is happening

VT2Commie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT2 Clubsport R8
Check your battery connections are clean and tight and get your battery LOAD tested by an auto electrician. If that fails to improve it get an auto electrician to find out whats going on.

gohrdrgomad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VxCaly57
Hey all , I’ve got a VT Commodore (1998) everything on it is still origininal from its built date.

I’ve been having problems with it stalling, feeling like it’s got a loss of power and it’s sieging. I’ve taken it to my local mechanic and he’s cleaned out my throttle body so far but when he did that the stalling stopped for about three days but came straight back. I could leave my car to warm up for an hour put it into reverse it’ll shake, the rev’s will do just near 0 then it’ll all of a sudden go back up to ide. Then once I put it into drive it just stalls. My car struggles every morning to move no matter what.

The loss of power, if I have my lights on I’ll flip them of high beam but the car seems to pull back a bit my stereo will turn off but reboot and all the lights on the dash will appear then go away.

Sieging will only happen when I hit 80km and it starts chugging to get to 100km if I plant the foot harder it doesn’t do anything but all of a sudden take off

Do anyone know what is happening
Yep possibly best take to a auto elect to eliminate any charging issues and check with a tech 2 scan for any faults also. Your discription with the dash etc, my first thought was a alternator issue and that generaly over time creates a battery issue as it will not charge accordingly. So each time you start it and anything requires power like cooling fans, computer, radio, door lights, fuel pump, dash n headlights for eg cant function and the car will possibly run as you describe. And cost you a heap in petrol.