Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT Commodore, Struglle Startup, Idles Dropping, Electrical Indicator

Bronson3

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
So I have a few rusty problems with my VT:

Never starts up first go when cold, ALWAYS starts the second go. BUT! Sometimes starts up and will conk out. Then I start it again and it's 100% fine.

When it has started, the idle is fine, then it shudders and drops fairly low, but when in motion everything is fine. I'm assuming that this could be a separate problem like a sensor of some sort?

I think the alternator could potentially have a problem because the indicator on my dash comes on when sitting in drive thru's with the car on and then i drive around and it goes away?

Any more deets needed, just let me know..

Cheers.

bubbada

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN Commodore
Is battery terminals clean of corrosion?
check the wiring between the positive battery terminal and alternator for loose, pulled or cut wiring.

and is your vt dual fuel?
when last servicing?

Bronson3

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
The battery terminals are slightly corroded, I sanded them back and cleaned them up, but they're still not as good as I'd like them. How much would it set me back getting new ones? (if you know)

I did all the spark plugs, air filter, radiator flush, refill, oil change new filter, all that stuff about 5 months ago I did the engine mounts and rack boots myself too with a mate for the physical help haha.

bubbada

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN Commodore
u could try Supercheap for terminals also ive heard that felt washers keep corrosion at bay.

for idlng probs
* have you cleaned the mass airflow sensor? (if u hav'nt use MAF sensor cleanner not carby cleanner to clean)
* IAC valve on throttle body cleaned
* Throttle Body sensor cleaned
* a vaccum leak (put a lenght of hose to your ear listen for loud hisses around hoses and connections note: careful of moving and heated parts)

do you know how to check for diagnostic codes?

Last edited:
D

devilly

battery terminals $10 up to $150 for the digital display type.hold mode and up button,then start car release buttons,then press mode until u get the volts up drive with this on and see how low it drops.i got a dizzy lead cap boot and drilled a hole into it and then disconnected battery took of nut on alternator and put boot there and wrapped it around the alternator bolt and nut.