Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT commodore Thermo fans help needed

D

devilly

so i got a bcm and ecu to swap with the ones in my car, because i was sick of all the intermittent problems,to find that someone had been there before me, and had hard wired one thermo on and found a hidden button to turn the other one on.i rewired every thing back to standard and put the new ecu and bcm in no problems tried to start the car nothing happen total dead,i found a kill switch refixed the dodge wires,still nothing then i put the mode switch back on the car,it fired up straight away,5 secs first thermo turned on then 5 secs second thermo turn on, as soon as the second one came on so did the engine light.bugger ,changed the relays under the bonnet as mine when you shake them rattled.stopped tried to research and read my books to find what the heck was going on.so i did a reset as soon as i reset it no thermo fans and no engine light.ugrh then i went through all the wires and fuses next to radiator and then it hit me maybe its the fans them selfs.so it has four pins to connect to it went up checked me mates car they have 2pins connectors.so i got thermo fan with 2 pins.was about to go through another labor of love.and thought i would come on here and ask for help before starting the job.any ideas or thoughts ??also key fob works perfect

dirty hands

Reaction score
Members Ride
magna
wierd fan wiring set up you have there ---and a kill switch

you know what your doing by the write up - is this a V6 ?

5 sec to start the fans i know not why ? and both running so soon

when you start the car the engine fan kicks in and stops as a sign its working - but not run on

I have been told the engine fan comes on by ECU signal -the air con only when air con is on

D

devilly

I have no gas in the aircon dunno if that changes anything,its very weird 1stfan on start up stays on and second fan cuts in and out so 10sec it turns on then 2secs off on for 10 secs and continues like that,its a v6,its a brand new battery, all brand new connectors for the battery wires and brand new terminals,oh and did the 5,6 bridge then have sat there and watched 12 12 12 12 12 no fault is coming up.

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
Check the wiring at the coolant temperature sensor and/or the sensor it's self.

dirty hands

Reaction score
Members Ride
magna
no faults is good

the fan that cuts in and out --should be the engine cooling side .... but only when hot

the air con fan may kick in - I thought was always constant with air con on ---I never have paid it attention -- .
- but the compressor itself will shut down till it is re gassed

Last edited:

SavVYute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S V6 Ute Series II 2004
I have no gas in the aircon dunno if that changes anything,its very weird 1stfan on start up stays on and second fan cuts in and out so 10sec it turns on then 2secs off on for 10 secs and continues like that,its a v6,its a brand new battery, all brand new connectors for the battery wires and brand new terminals,oh and did the 5,6 bridge then have sat there and watched 12 12 12 12 12 no fault is coming up.
If the fan cycles on and off when the engine is cold it's a good sign the computer may be dead or dying.
Check the computer's earthed properly.

Last edited:
D

devilly

alright been working on it flat out today,i have taken out the coolant sensor put multimeter on it and it reads 1.88 ohms,checked mates car and his reads 2.45 ohms,have tried to research about the coolant sensor,cant find anything thinking of getting a saucepan with water in it bring to boil and see if ohms drop down at all.oh and it was covered in silcone and heaps of plumbing tape.

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
Have you checked the relays by any chance?

Check the resistance to temperature against this......

D

devilly

used braso and cleaned the coolant sensor it now reads 2.45, hmmm might go check that the correct relays are in it,maybe someone before me ,put the wrong type in...

D

devilly

thanks heaps :) for the input i'll go through it all and check properly.