Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT Commodore...towing a Car Trailer...

Paulg1007

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt Commodore wagon 1997
Just after an opinion on towing a Car Trailer with my 1997 v6 wagon and I think a rated 1200kg towbar....the Trailer weighs 800kg so am I right that Max load added be about 400kg...just boxes of house stuff etc...some water tanks later but a friend can help me with their 4x4...does this sound all ok...thanks

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
Weight is on the border line,

That said, take your time, as you have all day to do it,
Because, if you don't,
you know it could turn pair shape if you dont,
and take a lot longer to move everything, and other unexpected options !

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Can't use a smaller trailer?

hademall

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF CALAIS WAGON
Just after an opinion on towing a Car Trailer with my 1997 v6 wagon and I think a rated 1200kg towbar....the Trailer weighs 800kg so am I right that Max load added be about 400kg...just boxes of house stuff etc...some water tanks later but a friend can help me with their 4x4...does this sound all ok...thanks
Even though your car has a towing capacity of 2100kg and your tow bar is rated 1200kg, be mindful that you have a braked trailer because many vehicles, if pulling an un-braked trailer, are only rated to pull no more than 750kg.
Also, if you have an accident you may have difficulty making a claim on insurance if you've overloaded your towing capacity.

Reactions: Lex

RiffRaffMama

Reaction score
Members Ride
Twin VX II Berlinas - "Vanessa" and "Geraldine"
We’re moving house at the moment too and for… reasons… my son’s VT is doing all the towing. We’re just using a normal size trailer and it’s doing an admirable job… but I wouldn’t put anything heavier on it. If we’ve got the trailer chockers you can’t go down anything with a slope on it or you’ll scrape 4 inches off the back end of your car every time you do. Pulling a car trailer is going to scrape your car just looking at a slope. And by slope I don’t mean ski slope, I mean an ordinary driveway.
You might save a couple of trips, but personally, I wouldn’t tow anything heavier than a normal trailer - you’re just starting off at the back of the pack.