Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vt Commodore V6 Series 1 Overheating

Vtcommo1997

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt commodore
Hey everyone, I've been looking through the forums and seen this issue a lot but nothing that can pinpoint an issue I am currently having. My VT is overheating randomly, I've replaced Inlet Manifold Gaskets, Water pump, Thermostat, Heater core;Heater Tap, Radiator plus cap, coolant sensor and every coolant hose all within the last 1000 km.

I've bled the cooling system with a Vacuum bleeder as well as a coolant bucket on the radiator until no bubbles. The problem I'm having is every now and then the Temp gauge will rise until hot at idle or under acceleration in almost all driving conditions at random. Some weeks it won't happen at all. Recently when It happened I checked the coolant overflow and it's sitting bang on perfect between the markers.

I'm lost for ideas, I think it might be the head gasket and I've TK tested it at work and it passed but that's the last item in the system that I haven't touched.

Any ideas? Cheers

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
check your thermo fans
they do fail after this many years

Heavy VT

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt V6
Have you checked if it is getting hot or is it a electrical issue?
I have a similar problem with my vt. The temp gauge goes to the max and beeps at me. But the engine is not hot. This happens once or twice every six months. I just ignore it.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Try bleeding it with the car parked facing up hill using the bleed screw when the engine is warm and there's enough pressure in the hoses to force air out. Is the system low on coolant and need top up after it overheats on the gauge? Check the reservoir hose isn't leaking.