Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT Commodore V6, won't start and Back fires

daffyy30

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive Sedan S1 Manual
:bow: I’m hoping someone can point me in the right direction in rectifying the following problem with my VT Commodore, 5 Speed V6.
I was driving home on a mild dry day, after getting out of work early. Whilst in idle at a set of lights, my car seemed fine, on putting it into first gear and beginning to accelerate, my car suddenly felt like it went bang.
I t coughed and splattered and manage to idle for about 20 meters then died, I tried to turn it over and the car back fired, several times. Also un-burnt fuel smoke appeared in my air cleaner box.
Engine sounds fine, no noises. Fuel pump and oil pump working.
I called the RACV, $166.00 later. The mechanic tells me, ummm not sure. What or why !!!
You need a tow truck, no surprise here.
I have replaced the coil pack in the past with a S/H unit, because one of the coils collapsed, I’m wondering if it’s the coil module.
Can anyone out there give me some ideas, I also have the genuine workshop manual on CD, where to look would be good.

kart_racer

Races karts
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim 5M
That definitely says coils to me.

daffyy30

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive Sedan S1 Manual
I,m hoping so...

fitz_vt

Pass Me A Wrench.....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore SII Olympic Edition
normally when these things go there are no noises, no warning signs, no nothing, the RACV mechanic doesnt sound very good, i would probably clean the injectors first and the coil packs second but then if this doesnt work you need to check a few things first to check for signs of gone gaskets.
do you have coolant in your oil (check the dipstick for a milky substance).
if you do have coolant in your oil you have blown a head gasket, if not then you might have blown a intake manifold gasket. or rocker cover gaskets might be gone.

SpectroBR

Reaction score
Members Ride
'99 VT Calais
When I had a similar problem, I replaced spark plugs and leads, cleaned injectors and replaced pressure regulator. It only got a little better but far from solved. Funny thing, it happened more often when the engine was hot.

Bottom line, it was the fuel pump not having sufficient pressure. After replaced, it all went back to normal. Try checking it with a pressure gauge.