Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vt commodore wagon 5.0 stalling HELP PLEASE

Cruise

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt berlina wagon 5.0
Having stalling issues with my vt wagon at the moment. Seems to be intermittent though, my neighbour thinks possibly coil pack issue so thought I'd ask on here to see if anyone agrees or has any other suggestions.

Started about a week ago, lent the car to my dad, he drove it to his place which is about 10 minutes away and said it stalled 3 times, at a round about, a red light and approaching an intersection so I thought it seemed to happen when slowing down. But I drove it to the drags a day later, drove fine for 30 minutes, did seem to have a little miss every now and then, and then it stalled doing 100 on the freeway, pulled over started again straight away.

Got it serviced the day after, mechanic said no error codes or obvious issues, cleaned the throttle body, I drive the car to work this morning and same thing. Fine for 30 minutes, stalled doing 100, started again then was a bit of a pig the rest of the way, wanted to stall when slowing down and hada bit of a miss every now and then, I could stop it from stalling by giving the throttle a stab this isn't ideal at roundabouts and intersections though.

Any thoughts or ideas of what the issue could be would be much appreciated.

Cruise

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt berlina wagon 5.0
So i replaced the coolant temp sensor yesterday morning and that seems to have fixed the issue, thought I would post in case anyone has similar symptoms.

Also I checked for fault codes by shorting the pins in the diagnostic plug and nothing came up, decided to have a mobile mechanic come have a look and his diagnostic tool picked up 2 coolant sensor codes, noticed a few posts on here saying they've checked for codes the same way and have nothing come up. Sometimes pays to have someone test it with the right equipment.

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
Shorting pins five and six only displays current error codes. Current error codes can be reset if the intermittent problem causing the error disappears (for example, when you turn the ignition off and back on). Using a scan tool you can also display history error codes as well as current error codes. Did the mobile mechanic tell you the actual error code numbers?

When you say the check didn't work, did you mean that no codes at all came up, or that you only got code 12.

Cruise

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt berlina wagon 5.0
Yeah I just had code 12 repeating when I shorted the pins, and that was the night before I had the mechanic come. When he checked it with the diagnostic tool it had codes 16,17 and 5 as current errors. I couldn't see a 5 on the list of codes anywhere, he seemed to think it was LPG related

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
Interesting. Glad the problem seems to be fixed, because otherwise you might be up for a new PCM (computer). Refer to the excerpt below from the Holden VT/VX Workshop Manual:

DTC 17 - PCM ERROR - ECT CIRCUIT - CIRCUIT DESCRIPTION:
The PCM uses two different internal pull-up resistors to increase the resolution throughout the entire range of engine operating temperatures. When the engine coolant temperature is less than 50 degrees C, the 4K ohm resistor is used. When temperature is above 50 degrees C, the PCM switches to the 348 ohm resistor. If the pull-up resistor does not switch, a DTC 17 will set.
DTC 17 WILL SET IF:
• The engine run time is greater than 10 seconds.
• The pull-up resistor inside the PCM switches and the ECT voltage changes less than 60 mV.

DTC 17 is an internal fault within the PCM. Replace the PCM.