Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT commodore write-off & insurance value?

coder

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT S1
Hi all,

So, unfortunately my car was written off last week due to some idiot blowing a red and t-boning the car.

I was wondering if anyone has had a similar model VT and knows what to expect as an insurance payout amount for the car. I understand that they go by market value of the car at the time of the incident, but I'm not sure about other factors that may affect the price. Here's what I mean...

• It's a '98 VT Acclaim (V6)
  • Body has done around 250,000. but had a replacement motor from a VX installed about a year ago with 180,000 at the time (can provide receipts)
  • Installed with an LPG system
  • Extras such as airbags, traction control, power mirrors and seats

What should I expect to get back from this especially given the motor is from a VX and has done lower k's than the car plus things like LPG?

I have checked out red book and the max private price value is $4,300 with 195,000 - 325,000 k's. However, about a year or so ago, the agreed value on the car was $6,500, but then changed to 3rd party only this year.

Thanks in advance!

Cameron P

Reaction score
Members Ride
REDHOT VX SS
there insurance companys mate lol i doubt they will go over everything to make sure you get the right value for your car lol

expect market value

rb26dett

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS S2 A4
Expect the low end of market value.

Longman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V 6.0 Auto
Hi mate,

I know that my VT exec, V6, Auto & Air has a current market value of $3,900 for insurance purposes. An acclaim won't be too much above that.

I severely doubt insurers would take into account things like kms or replacement motors with less km's, and a lot of insurers won't insure a modified car.

Hope this helps.

TonyJZX

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore M6
VTs are worth **** and VXs aren't much better

that's just the way it is

most places allow agree value

you choose the highest and you may pay a little extra on your premium

old commodores being cheap is a double edged sword

they are cheap to buy, cheap to run (besides petrol), pretty bulletproof and you don't feel bad about caning them

just don't expect much when you sell or when you get a payout

oska

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx custom 600RR
Hi mate,

I know that my VT exec, V6, Auto & Air has a current market value of $3,900 for insurance purposes. An acclaim won't be too much above that.

I severely doubt insurers would take into account things like kms or replacement motors with less km's, and a lot of insurers won't insure a modified car.

Hope this helps.

i tend to agree

when trying to get new insurance i had quotes knocked back for things like LPG and 17" wheels and i'm a mature driver who made claims on malicious damage

best i could on a standard non modified vx exec ( mine came fully factory optioned) was $5.5k

insurance companies only want to insure people who have never made any claims , they only want your money

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
The VX motor won't make a bit of difference to the valuation. It will be seen as a high mileage Series 1 VT Acclaim and assessed as such. Your extras are actually just standard Acclaim fittings so they won't boost the value either. It will be paid out at market value, maybe around $3,500 - $5,000.

Fletch_QLD

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU II SS
Whatever the first offer is - don't accept it. Tell them how the car was your pride and joy, mention any money spent recently you can back up with receipts. Ask how you can appeal their first offer.

I did this and they came back to me within 48hrs with an improved offer.

good luck.

Rhin0o8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais Impounded?
To be honest, Id say you would get paid out more than if you were to trade it in or sell it ( Before write-off )
Im guessing the other car's insurance is paying you out ?

expect market value + 1000 generally.
and as mentioned appeal their first offer to get a better deal, it cant hurt i would imagine.